• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto voltage on overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theshawty

Hi, I've overclocked my 6600K to 4.2 GHz and left the voltage at auto. Can this harm my CPU in any way? Everything's super stable and it gets around 1.24 volts idle and around 1.312 on load. I don't need a higher OC than this.

LLC is also on auto and SVID too. My motherboard is an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.

I've heard auto volt is bad but is it really? When I set it to manual, I get an option called "CPU Core Voltage Override"

http://m.imgur.com/csjoBCa?r

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
The reason not to use AUTO is because it tends to use more voltage than necessary for the overclock. This can result in unnecessary heat and shortening of the lifespan of the CPU.
In your case, that small OC on auto is probably OK. Just don't get greedy. If you find that you want more OC, you'll have to learn how to use manual.

OP
Theshawty

Theshawty

The reason not to use AUTO is because it tends to use more voltage than necessary for the overclock. This can result in unnecessary heat and shortening of the lifespan of the CPU.
In your case, that small OC on auto is probably OK. Just don't get greedy. If you find that you want more OC, you'll have to learn how to use manual.

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of that.

If I were to use manual, however, what values would you recommend that I start with? I know all CPUs are different and it's a silicon lottery, but still.

What vcore, what LLC? Do I disable SVID or let it be auto?

I have a Corsair H100i v2 so cooling is no issue.

[email protected]

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of that.

If I were to use manual, however, what values would you recommend that I start with? I know all CPUs are different and it's a silicon lottery, but still.

What vcore, what LLC? Do I disable SVID or let it be auto?

I have a Corsair H100i v2 so cooling is no issue.

Try 1.2, If you crash or cant pass the stresstest set it to 1.25 and so on.

Thats the really fast and basic manual you can do.

OP
Theshawty

Theshawty

Try 1.2, If you crash or cant pass the stresstest set it to 1.25 and so on.

Thats the really fast and basic manual you can do.

I think the stock voltage is around 1.16 or something and my current voltage seems to be 1.246.

What about LLC and SVID? Auto on both?

Do I type in manual voltage in the "CPU Core Voltage Override"?

[email protected]

I think the stock voltage is around 1.16 or something and my current voltage seems to be 1.246.

What about LLC and SVID? Auto on both?

Do I type in manual voltage in the "CPU Core Voltage Override"?

You type 1.2, Or 1.25, Or whatever you want.
about LLC and SVID, I dont know what they for so i dont touch them, I only change CPU voltage and RAM voltage.
And the stock voltage is auto which sets the voltage automatically and changes it whenever you do something to what it wants.
You should try 1.2.

OP
Theshawty

Theshawty

You type 1.2, Or 1.25, Or whatever you want.
about LLC and SVID, I dont know what they for so i dont touch them, I only change CPU voltage and RAM voltage.
And the stock voltage is auto which sets the voltage automatically and changes it whenever you do something to what it wants.
You should try 1.2.

If I understand correctly, LLC is what applies a different voltage when the CPU is under load to battle Vdroop. SVID seems to be a protocol which the CPU uses to "talk" to the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module).

I've heard people say that auto voltage applies too much voltage but at load my CPU is fed 1.312V. I don't see how that's too much?

wingman99

Depends on the motherboard if there is to much v core voltage on auto. A lot of the i5 will do 4.5GHz on 1.3v on v core.

knoober

It is your temps that will determine if your Vcore needs changing. Yours is probably fine, but if you are nearing the temp wall then you would want to try to see if you can run the same clock speed on less voltage to have a lower temp. Your CPU will also live longer the further from max temps you keep it (although there is apparently a point where high voltage itself will cause degradation of the CPU, but that isnt really a part of what you are dealing with @ that voltage)

So if you CPU is at or near the highest temperature then you may want to check into better cooling or setting the voltage lower manually. But if that isnt the case then you might be able to call it a day

OP
Theshawty

Theshawty

It is your temps that will determine if your Vcore needs changing. Yours is probably fine, but if you are nearing the temp wall then you would want to try to see if you can run the same clock speed on less voltage to have a lower temp. Your CPU will also live longer the further from max temps you keep it (although there is apparently a point where high voltage itself will cause degradation of the CPU, but that isnt really a part of what you are dealing with @ that voltage)

So if you CPU is at or near the highest temperature then you may want to check into better cooling or setting the voltage lower manually. But if that isnt the case then you might be able to call it a day

I've never seen it approach max temp. :)