• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Autumn Equinox AIDA64 Cache and Memory Competition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Leaderboards updated

Edited to include leaders in Dual, Triple, and Quad Channel memory configurations

Results have been posted below the leaderboards and I'll add them here as well...

Leader, Dual Channel:
MaddMutt

Leader, Triple Channel:
PolRoger

Leader, Quad Channel:
Woomack

Last edited:
Here is a new 4-core (6700K) dual channel sub:

i7-6700k 4.8GHz DDR4-4133C17 Samsung ic.PNG

I'm still working on the old C2D/C2Q and P45 chipset DDR3 combo... It has been a "tough slog" trying to run up higher fsb with higher memory speeds (>1800MHz+) with this platform. :(

My current stable baseline is running on the 333 strap at DDR3-1800C8 (PL7) with 4x1GB sticks (early high voltage micron ic).

8600 4.275GHz ddr3-1800C8 333 strap PL7 20-10 ratio 4x1GB Corsair 1800C7.PNG

Playing around in Windows with Gigabyte's EasyTune6 software... Not really dialed in or stable... This was @PL8:

8600 4.65GHz DDR3 1860C8 PL8.PNG

Here is my 9800x overclocked. Sadly even with the same memory speed/timing it isn't near as fast memory wise as my 7920x:
AIDA64 Cache 3.2mesh 3800mhz mem 2.PNG

*Leaderboards Updated*
*Edited to include Leadership in Memory Read, Write and Copy divisions*

Leader, Memory Read:
EarthDog

Leader, Memory Write:
Woomack

Leader, Memory Copy:
Woomack

1900C8...475 fsb; 333 strap: 20:10 ratio; PL7

8600 4.275GHz DDR3 1900C8 PL7 333 strap.PNG

Edit: Pushed the fsb up a little further using Gigabyte's EasyTune 6 software in Windows (not very stable).

8600 4.4GHz DDR3 1956C8 PL7 333 strap.PNG

Last edited:
I'm still working on the old C2D/C2Q and P45 chipset DDR3 combo... It has been a "tough slog" trying to run up higher fsb with higher memory speeds (>1800MHz+) with this platform. :(

It is not an easy proposition. I find it very difficult to run anything below a 400MHz FSB strap on my P45 rig. I have settled for the 3:5 FSB : DRAM ratio and feel like that is the most stable configuration for my Q9650. The law of diminishing returns kicks in once you get over 1600Mhz on the memory clock with the Core 2 Duo. That's why I settled for 10GB/R/W/C speed and called it good. From there, I just worked on memory timings to tighten up my OC. Running 7-7-7-13 @ 1445Mhz (like I said, on the 400Mhz FSB strap). The Asus P5Q3 has lots of options available to help you with memory tuning but I'm finding out most of them do absolutely nothing to improve performance and/or stability.

Last edited:
It is not an easy proposition. I find it very difficult to run anything below a 400MHz FSB strap on my P45 rig. I have settled for the 3:5 FSB : DRAM ratio and feel like that is the most stable configuration for my Q9650. The law of diminishing returns kicks in once you get over 1600Mhz on the memory clock with the Core 2 Duo. That's why I settled for 10GB/R/W/C speed and called it good. From there, I just worked on memory timings to tighten up my OC. Running 7-7-7-13 @ 1445Mhz (like I said, on the 400Mhz FSB strap). The Asus P5Q3 has lots of options available to help you with memory tuning but I'm finding out most of them do absolutely nothing to improve performance and/or stability.

(BIOS design/coding)... VTT voltage settings and GTL Refs for CPU and MCH... also tRead/Perfromance Level (AI Twister on ASUS?). Socket 775 boards with DDR3 were a flash in the pan quickly supplanted by the original core i7 series with IMC. The true meat of Socket 775 development was running lower memory speed DDR2.

Looking now for higher FSB on the 400 strap:

3:4 ratio PL9:
8600 3.94GHz DDR3-1500C7 400 strap PL9.PNG

3:4 ratio PL9 pushed up to 590fsb with EasyTune6 in Windows:
8600 3.94GHz DDR3-1500C7 400 strap PL9 #3.PNG

Leaderboards updated. Looking good custom90gt that puts you ahead of OC-Nighthawk in the bandwidth category. That latency though...

Leaderboards updated. Looking good custom90gt that puts you ahead of OC-Nighthawk in the bandwidth category. That latency though...

Sadly I haven't had an AMD system for a long time, going to have to fiddle with it a bit to figure out what I am doing, lol. Perhaps it doesn't like 4 sticks...

Now if I could just figure out why my writes are SOOOO SLOWWWWWWWWWWW @woomack help!
View attachment 203106

Nice memory read. I have no idea why write is so low. Hard to say when I can't see BIOS and how it's acting at your settings. There is also one weird thing on this platform. On ASRock I have higher writes but on ASUS and MSI others can make higher read than I do.

Btw. I won't add any new result. For X299 I have only 2 memory sticks which already went on auction. I've ordered a new kit ... first was meh so I've returned it, 2nd one was already after a return and Amazon didn't check it. The kit had 2 "fake" sticks so I had to return it and I wait till I get money back. Not to mention that 2 working sticks couldn't even run at XMP/4000. I already ordered 3rd kit and there will be a delay so I won't touch X299 for next 2 weeks :shrug: I already sold 2 other kits to cover costs.

Here is my best effort on my Q9650 rig... running the 3:5 ratio on the 400Mhz strap (so the memory speed is more like 1437Mhz)

CaptureFinal.PNG

Btw. I won't add any new result. For X299 I have only 2 memory sticks which already went on auction. I've ordered a new kit ... first was meh so I've returned it, 2nd one was already after a return and Amazon didn't check it. The kit had 2 "fake" sticks so I had to return it and I wait till I get money back. Not to mention that 2 working sticks couldn't even run at XMP/4000. I already ordered 3rd kit and there will be a delay so I won't touch X299 for next 2 weeks :shrug: I already sold 2 other kits to cover costs.

Sadly I won't be adding any more X299 results either. I picked up a 1700x and MB for super cheap so I'm going to run them until new stuff comes out. I do like this hyperx ram quite a bit though, seems to run well...

Back