• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avg 38*C on a Ryzen 2600x on Hardware Labs Black Nemesis GTS 360 rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yippykayyay

hello all,

I have a EKWB X470 taichi monoblock cooling my Ryzen 2600x on a Hardware Labs Black Nemesis GTS 360 rad and my average temps while gaming (nothing amazing, They are Billions all settings on high) was 38*C?? :mad::mad: what could be causing this and how can I fix it? Happy to provide any and all more information needed. Cheers

Lets start by posting complete system specs. Is it a CPU only loop? What pump, what fans and speed? We like details :)

What are you worried about with 38C? That seems just fine to me. What is your ambient temp? What is your overclock?

Hi Zerileous,

Thanks for your reply. (I see we have a really similar setup!)

It is a CPU only loop. Using an EKWB XRES 140 pump. Fans are set to the default BIOS fan curve (I have 3 mounted on the bottom, and 3 mounted on the top pushing air into the top mounted radiator), but even when I ramp them up too full max temps seem to hover around 33*C.

Ambient temperature today was 22*C (it was a beautiful day outside!). No manual overclock (have read online that the X chips do "self overclock"? but I have done nothing but put the chip in the slot and build the rig...).

38*C seems a bit high to me I guess. I run a 4.1ghz 1600 in an air-cooled setup, and those temps seem to hover around 32*C so I guess I just expected water-cooling to be even lower than that. Just worried that I'm not getting the full benefits of water-cooling I guess since I want to take full advantage of my setup.

I added in my full PC components below. Kindly let me know if I can provide any more information! Thank you for your help! :)
vvvvv

Ryzen 2600X
ASRock X470 Taichi
EKWB X470 Taichi Monoblock
EKWB XRES 140
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
GSkillz Trident Z 3000 CL14 8GB
ADATA SU800 1GB
Intel SSD 120GB (ancient)
Corsair LL120 x6
Lian Li PC O11 Dynamic Alphine White

Last edited:
What games are you playing? To what extent is the CPU loaded and how many cores? If the CPU isn't really being stressed, (and it doesn't sound like it is), you're not going to be seeing a huge performance difference. It also depends on what air cooler the 1600 is using. Really we should be comparing full load temps. Do you have a program that you like to use to stress the CPU to check stability? I still use Prime95, but aida64, OCCT and RealBench are all good options as well.

What program are you using to report temps? I always use HWiNFO64, although Ryzen master is accurate as well. There are some issues with inaccurate reporting.

With your BIOS fan curve, what temperature reading are you using? There is one called "CPU" that I believe is reading the socket and tends to lag behind in temperature reporting (not a problem is you really hate hearing fans go up and down in speed, as it kind of roughly evens out the ups and downs of load temps) and also tends to report cooler temps. Setting your curve on this you may want to be more aggressive. You can alternatively select Tctl which will use the temperature from the CPU itself. This will give you the best response to changes in CPU temps.

Does the air coming out of the radiator feel warm?

Having the fans exhaust through the radiator tends to increase temps by a few degrees, due to the GPU adding heat. With the Vega this effect may be exaggerated. You can try removing the side panel and see if this helps. If it does you could always reverse those fans for a top and bottom intake, and add 3 fans for a side exhaust.

nothing major, I don't play a single triple A title lol. (They are billions, league of legends, rise of industry). No idea how to check CPU load and core load, how could I get that data?
I have done a 30 minute prime 95 small fft test on this rig, temps rose to about 65*C and then held stable.

I use HWinfo64 since I heard that Ryzen overreports.

ok, so if I want more aggressive cooling I should set the fan temp to Tctl? I'll make sure to do that!

Air coming through the rads feels cool.
Oh true, hadn't thought that GPU exhaust could be a factor. I'll remove the side panels and see if that makes a difference as well.

But overall what idle temps should I be shooting for/expecting?

65C is a great temp for running small FFT. I'd say you don't have anything to worry about. You see the most benefit of a custom loop at load, it won't impact idle that much because it's already only 10C over ambient and it's not producing much heat. You have plenty of rad for your CPU and with a load temp like that we know that everything is performing as it should. You're not going to see idle temps much lower. I would imagine the only thing causing it to increase a few degrees is heat from the GPU, while gaming, but it's not a significant enough amount to affect performance,

You can use RivaTuner, either with HWiNFO64 or MSI afterburner, to give you an On Screen Display (OSD) of various temps, levels of load, FPS etc if you're interested. I don't imagine the titles you are playing utilize more than 1 or two cores. I usually see 16% in games from that era for CPU load, which corresponds to 100% load on one core.

Ultimately your system is doing great and I would stop worrying about temps and enjoy your new setup!!

What's the RPM of your pump? I have the same pump and I actually find that it's most quiet at 100% speed oddly enough in my system which is around 4800 RPM and it's also inaudible at around 20% speed as well. The cooling difference between 20% and 100% for the pump is actually very large. For my system (below) my liquid temps on idle are about 25°C and while gaming Planetside 2 or Battlefield 5 my liquid temps range from 30°c to 38°c depending on ambient. Basically my 8700k while gaming stays in the 40s and low 50s and my VEGA 64 never goes above 40°c.

It depends on the loop. You've got 3 rads, 2 blocks, and a fair number of tight bends. What is important is a flow rate of at least 1GPM, and preferably 1.5GPM. OP has one rad and one loop, so I don't think pump speed is the problem.

I don't have a flow meter in my loop, but using the same pump as DaPoets (mine is an EK D5 Vario, not PWM) the difference between 4800 rpm and 2500 rpm (this is closer to "2" on the pump, which has 5 manually controlled speed settings via a dial on the back) is not really significant. I guess that's not a fair comparison to our 20%, since mine was closer to 50%. I find my pump pretty much inaudible at that speed. We're using different setups in terms of pump tops and reservoir as well, so I'm sure that has an impact.

Running Firestrike Extreme on a loop, the only place I noticed more than 1C difference was on the "Hot Spot" temp of my Vega64, but I would need to repeat the test more times to see if that was actually significant or more random. The loop was previously warm due to folding, although definitely not at full stress. I did 3 runs, the first at 2500, the second at 4800, and the last back down to 2500.

Edit: I ran a couple loops at 1800 rpm, which is the lowest my pump will run, and also did not notice a significant difference, except possibly the hotspot. I'll probably do more hotspot experimentation with loop speed to see if this is a real thing.

Last edited:
Back