• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVG Anti Virus 8 - Your View If You Are Using It

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

2 Days ago I got offered a free upgrade to AVG 8 from 7.5 Pro so I downloaded it and gave a test and I didn't like it boot times went up it took a few more seconds at the welcome screen than 7.5.

Adds more services 7.5 has 4 now 8.0 has 6 due to the Anti Spyware, Rootkit, WebShield and Linkscanner programs added in, total memory usage is around 45-55mb say after using IE7 & Outlook once. No ability to turn off features I have Spyware Blaster 4.0 and Spybot S&D 1.5 installed so I really dont think I need AVG's features but couldn't find a way to turn them off.

I give it a 3/5 I've gone back 7.5 Pro for now.

Anyone else upgraded what do you think?

jdf_warrior

So... you paid for the full version, but you dont wanna use the stuff that comes with it?

You could always just not run antivirus and spyware software :) Doesn't require much memory, doesnt use extra services, etc. Its rather nice that way.

OP
AngelfireUk83

AngelfireUk83

Didn't pay for either I got a free CD with loads of software on it full and shareware from a mag called Personal Computer World. On it was a 1yr sub to AVG Pro 7.5 I got a message to upgrade for free from Grisoft so I downloaded it to test.

I just didn't like it and I don't get your services bit Spyware Blaster dosn't run in the background nither does Spybot. They are updated every week and I am not sure how AVG 8.0's Anti spyware/Root kit are updated every week I dont know.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I like it. It seems to scan much faster. I never reboot so I can't comment on boot speed.

I like the interface better as well.

In Tools/Advanced settings, you can't find what you want to disable?

usp8riot

I just started using it as well. You can turn off what you don't want in the free version. I use the anti-spyware in place of Windows Defender and has picked up a tracking cookie the one time I used IE and don't recall Defender ever doing so. Defender may be doing it's job in the background, can't say, but I have no problems with 8.0. Seems to work quite well so far.

ps2cho

I'm liking 8 on my new Vista Ultimate install :)

That is the free version of course.

bobgott

Adds more services 7.5 has 4 now 8.0 has 6 due to the Anti Spyware, Rootkit, WebShield and Linkscanner programs added in, total memory usage is around 45-55mb say after using IE7 & Outlook once.

..I give it a 3/5 I've gone back 7.5 Pro for now.

I don't like the memory footprint and will go back to 7.5

usp8riot

I don't like the memory footprint and will go back to 7.5

Mine uses 20mb's. Even 40-50mb's is too much for anti-virus protection? I thought everyone's picked up by now that unused memory is wasted memory. Oh well, to each their own. I upgraded because AVG basically said it won't support 7.5 with updates after this month.

nd4spdbh2

So... you paid for the full version, but you dont wanna use the stuff that comes with it?

You could always just not run antivirus and spyware software :) Doesn't require much memory, doesnt use extra services, etc. Its rather nice that way.

thats the way i do it... dont run an antivirus, do run adaware every now and then but i realized that even if i did run antivirus i still reinstall xp every 6 to 8 months.

I do have the 7.5 pro edition they were handing out free a while back that i use on parents computers.

Know Nuttin

I installed it without the linkscanner, I know it can be disabled later but it's annoying seeing the tray icon (which I have now disabled as well) showing the ! sign.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I like it better than 7.5 and any memory footprint issues are moot with my 8GB of ram that Vista x64 is using every bit of ;)

OP
AngelfireUk83

AngelfireUk83

When I get my new Phenom X3 system built it's going to have 4GB RAM and I'm going to try VISTA out once and for all. I'll look into the disabled features in the Tools/Advanced section for the full Anti Virus 8 version but I swear there was no option.