• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

avoid disc from data coruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alien76

I think this thing is caled data coruption but i am not quite sure. When I increase FSB I get register problems. I read some article in this forum and i get information that this is because hard drive data coruption or something like that. Could this be solved by setting hard disk PIO mode or DMA mode or it is imposible to do anything about it.

BoYRaCeR

Registered
This is probably because your FSB is too high and your PCI is running way over spec... and its making your HD suffer. I suggest you back down if you dont want to lose everything on your HD. Some people can run their FSB at 160 making their PCI run at 40... which is way over 33... some HDs can handle it some can't.

lyle

This is not due to mode settings, but probably due to your proc starving for juice. Have you upped your core voltage to the proc when you up the FSB? If you haven't, then you are starving your proc. Try increasing your core voltage settings. If you don't, the worst that could happen is that the registry gets screwed up and won't let you boot into the OS anymore.

batboy

Senior Moment
There is not much you can do once the harddrive is "scrambled" (massive data corruption) except to reformat the drive and do a fresh Windows install. Having critical data backed up is a big plus at this point. If you're having annoying registry errors and problems, but can still start Windows, then sometimes using the WinDoctor program of Norton Utilities might help clean up stuff enough. Regcleaner and other programs sometimes might help too. Most overclockers just have to periodically reinstall Windows, it's part of the game of pushing the limit in search for top performance.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
You need to Image your Install partition as soon as it's up and running with all updates, drivers, and apps. Then you can overclock away and just zap it back in about five minutes time if you get data corruption. I use PQ DriveImage Pro, or there's Norton Ghost.

tainice

alien76 said:
There is now way to upper CPU voltage!!! To old mobo...

i dont think upper volt will solve the problem..the problem has to with your harddrive instead of your cpu..of course they are very closely linked--> u oc, you change the fsb, thus, alture the agp/pci. best advice, backup your stuff before you attemp anything crazy, and positively drop your fsb or buy a harddrive that can tolerate high fsb.

surfinguru

Well, just "suffered" this phenom last night. Good thing I had just done a fresh install. Tried bumping my Celeron 1.2 to 1.6 @ 1.6v. Reset and locked up at the DMI check. Ok, re-boot. Argh!!! Windows registry is corrupt message. Ok, reboot, back fsb down, try to reboot under safe mode so I can run scanreg. Bzzzzzz. Wrong answer!!! Well, windows directory was named with illegal characters. Whatever, re-installed windows over it so I could at least grab the few homework files that the GF had already put on there. Looks like I'll be re-building again this weekend......

Guess I need to do the vid pin mod if I want to get past 1.5....:(

batboy

Senior Moment
Most of the time, data corruption is due to the PCI bus being too far out of spec (the controller is on the PCI bus). A Celeron 1.2 gig running at 1.6 gig should be at 133 FSB which is a default setting. So the PCI bus should be in spec. Make sure the 1/4 divider is enabled. If so, maybe you do need a boast in voltage to get you over the hump.

surfinguru

batboy, yep. While 133 is a default. I had it set as user defined with the following:

fsb=133
divisor=4:4:1
vcore=1.6
mem timings=2:5/7:2:2

those settings would have everything at spec and it still puked!! :mad: I think I'll rebuild this weekend and just burn it in with prime @ fsb 66, vcore 1.6 and then see how it goes. However, as 99.999% have said, to reach 1.6 and maintain stability, I'll need to do the vid pin mod to get more vcore, especially with that damn dsl modem.:rolleyes:

I think I'm going to look into that Norton Ghost thing. I'm getting really tired of reinstalling everything again and again ad nausium.....