• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AWOOGA!! Daily Team Production down 10 Million!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

Yes, you read the title right. Our daily team production has dropped 10 million points over the last 4 days! Please double check that all your clients are running and check in with your friends. They may be trapped under one of their rigs after trying to squeeze in another gpu on the top shelf. ;)

Production.jpg

t1nm4n

I saw that a couple of days ago, hope RamonetB is ok, looks like his machines shut down. I'm just amazed how much this team produces with such few people.

OP
the_cultie

the_cultie

I saw that a couple of days ago, hope RamonetB is ok, looks like his machines shut down. I'm just amazed how much this team produces with such few people.

It is an incredible feat. We have the highest average PPD per active folder than any other team out there. It is a testament to our teams dedication and also how healthy competition between teammates can really help boost science.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I've been gaming a lot lately. When I do that, it takes 1 of my Titan X P cards out of production.

For example, yesterday I gamed for about 12 hours...so I lose 50% of 1.2 million! :D

Some of if has to do with the work unit type as well.

OP
the_cultie

the_cultie

I've been gaming a lot lately. When I do that, it takes 1 of my Titan X P cards out of production.

For example, yesterday I gamed for about 12 hours...so I lose 50% of 1.2 million! :D

Some of if has to do with the work unit type as well.

Gaming?! :nuts:

Install an AMD card for that :p

t1nm4n

just out of curiosity, when you game, do you actually pause the Wu or let it try and run in the background? depending on the game I don't think my 290Xs could handle that, but 4k sure is pretty to look at, that pixel density is something to be enjoyed.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
It depends on the game. Civilization V, VI, Beyond Earth... can fold and play the game.

The Witcher 3...nope.

Elite Dangerous...depends...if heavy combat or lots of ships it will lag while folding.

torin3

Looks like he is starting to get back up. Though I'd say he isn't using video cards. 60 WU for 153K points.

t1nm4n

I saw that and looking at some of his other weeks of production he has a high WU count for his points, I mean he's was doing in a day what I did in a week :eek:, but my 8mil was in 130+ wu's and his was in 1200-1300+ wu's, either way, that's a lot of cpu processing to get them points, impressive no matter how you look at it.

Ramonetb

Registered
Hey guys!

I wanted to quick chime in.
First of all, thanks to the_cultie for checking in on me. It's that type of community that makes this place so wonderful!
Second, all is well! My drop off is the combo punch of some hardware going down and the sudden disappearance of those ever so delicious A7 Core work units. I'm working on getting the hardware back up, but this thing called "Christmas" is distracting me. :santa:
But without those A7's, I won't be pushing 8 million anymore. Twas fun while it lasted. Looks like I need to acquire some more GPU's again....

-Kirk

OP
the_cultie

the_cultie

Hey guys!

I wanted to quick chime in.
First of all, thanks to the_cultie for checking in on me. It's that type of community that makes this place so wonderful!
Second, all is well! My drop off is the combo punch of some hardware going down and the sudden disappearance of those ever so delicious A7 Core work units. I'm working on getting the hardware back up, but this thing called "Christmas" is distracting me. :santa:
But without those A7's, I won't be pushing 8 million anymore. Twas fun while it lasted. Looks like I need to acquire some more GPU's again....

-Kirk
I guess the rest of us will have to buy enough GPU's to make up for the loss lol

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I had several issues over the holiday but because I was out of town, I was unable to bring rigs back up. Right now my server rig is down as I iron out issues with my 980Ti and server 2016. I suspect that it will take a while for the team to recover from the holiday.

We have always been big hitters as can be attested by Adak's Chimp Challenge. We were one of the smallest teams competing but we always managed to bring enough to the fight. I'm proud to do what I can for the team as is everyone else here. It's a great place to fold.

StrategyFreak

Registered
I'm looking to add some cards for 24/7 folding to help the cause. Right now I've got 3 SMP clients which are producing pitiful PPD. I tried with 2x R9-280X, but those cards were far from fold and forget. After a few weeks at 24/7 folding, they began failing on WUs and even froze the system several times, all at stock speeds. It turned out that keeping them cool was the problem, and despite trying various solutions they were just too unreliable. It was pretty frustrating trying to keep them working, so eventually I just gave up.

Anyone have experience with the RX 480? Are they reliable? I have an EVGA SR-2 board that can accommodate up to 3 cards. I'm not going to overclock them, but I don't want to have resort to watercooling to keep their temperatures reasonable.
If not, I'm going to go with the GTX 1080. Do they have better reliability with 24/7 folding?

Edit: Ordered 1 RX 480. Might go with 2 x 1080s soon, although it looks like the 1070 has slight better PPD. Anyone with thoughts?

Last edited:

StrategyFreak

Registered
The RX 480 I ordered was defective. No matter what drivers I tried, it always gave me the "bad work unit" message and would never get beyond 5 seconds into a WU without failing. Even a total clean driver install and underclocking it failed to stop the error messages. Sending the RMA tomorrow...

So frustrating. AMD's GPUs have always given me a hard time. They're making it difficult for me to support the underdog...

Got my old 2 280X and a 770 going though. A third 280X was killed by folding.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
If not, I'm going to go with the GTX 1080. Do they have better reliability with 24/7 folding?

Edit: Ordered 1 RX 480. Might go with 2 x 1080s soon, although it looks like the 1070 has slight better PPD. Anyone with thoughts?

I have 5 GTX-1080 SC (Super Clock) and 1 GTX-980 Ti FTW and I'm running them 24/7 with no issues.

dark bishop

I'd have more production but my 390x just doesnt like to fold, computer crashes almost immediately after starting. I've got a 750ti to fold with as well but its in the fileserver, when I remote desktop into it the gpu wu errors out.

OP
the_cultie

the_cultie

I just learned that my power is going to be out tomorrow for 8 hours. That's about 150K ppd gone tomorrow. Also, what is the PPD of a RX 480?

StrategyFreak

Registered
I have 5 GTX-1080 SC (Super Clock) and 1 GTX-980 Ti FTW and I'm running them 24/7 with no issues.

Thanks! Ordered a 1080 today for $580, I'm hoping I get my money's worth, although NVIDIA GPUs have always been reliable folders for me.

I'd have more production but my 390x just doesnt like to fold, computer crashes almost immediately after starting. I've got a 750ti to fold with as well but its in the fileserver, when I remote desktop into it the gpu wu errors out.

Remote Desktop (RDP) is a known problem for GPU folding. I use Teamviewer, which works great.

I just learned that my power is going to be out tomorrow for 8 hours. That's about 150K ppd gone tomorrow. Also, what is the PPD of a RX 480?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._Uo3pZpQYogn6gVlxRPnz0/edit?ts=57f3e0fa#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html#

So roughly around 300-310k PPD (when working)

OP
the_cultie

the_cultie

Thanks! Ordered a 1080 today for $580, I'm hoping I get my money's worth, although NVIDIA GPUs have always been reliable folders for me.

Remote Desktop (RDP) is a known problem for GPU folding. I use Teamviewer, which works great.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._Uo3pZpQYogn6gVlxRPnz0/edit?ts=57f3e0fa#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html#

So roughly around 300-310k PPD (when working)

Thank you! That's a nice piece of information. So the 480 would give the same PPD as my 7970 and R9 280X combined. I smell an upgrade soon ;)