• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Awww Bummer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toysrme

Just went back to work on my case some. So I go ahead and unlocked my XP2000...

Damn the KG7 only supports multipliers changes in the BIOS up to 13X... I mean come ON! The 2000 comes shipped with 12.5 LoL! Guess Next time I get in the case I'll have to do the multipliers the hard way on the chip
:'(
-Toysrme

Eclypsyr

hey, I have a KG7......too bad about the multiplier thing...still an awesome board tho :D
-Dae-

OSUmaxx

Why do you want to raise it? Lower the multi, jack up the FSB and you'll get better performance.

Eclypsyr

Yeah tru 'bout the FSB....except if you have sh***y memory like me, then nothing seems to work out:p
o well, will be gettin new mem sometime soon
-Dae-

james.miller

Liss said:
mmm..
180 is pretty high.. but 150 is the starting line of high

the fsb alone doesnt effect much except at extream speeds when some boards experiance tearing in 3d ect.

its the pci and agp speed that is most important. if the board has a 1/5 divider (i dont know it it has or not) then 190mhz is probable where it would start to act up (190mhz/5= 38mhz pci - wheres some hdd start to crap out)

if it had a 1/6 divider (which it doesnt) then 230mhz would be about right i suppose.

oh btw yeah 150 is a little high (150mhz / 4 = 37.5mhz pci) but as soon as you hit 166 that 1/5 divider will kick in and drop your pci back down to 33.3mhz so everything is back in spec.

oh and yeah, what does this have to do with watercooling? lol

james.miller

well. seti and folding are both different. one is more memory intensive, and the other is more cpu intensive, from what ive heard.
in any case, its better to lower you multi and raise your fsb, than vice versa.

think of it this way:

xp1800 (multiplier=11.5) @ 1.73 ghz ( 150mhz x 11.5) - xp2100 speed

will out perform a:

TRUE xp2100 (multi = 13) @ 1.73ghz (133mhz x 13)

because of the xp1800's increased memory speed(150mhz vs 133mhz)

the cpu's might be the same speed, but the system as a whole will be faster.

edit:
masitti: the answer is no. infact a lower multiplier would be better in all aspect.

one other benifit is that lower multi's will alow you to achieve better speeds with the cpu, becasue you can more finely adjust the cpu speed to find the maximum

cack01

masitti said:
I heard that having a higher multi allows you to crunch/fold faster also? Any truth to this?

I heard the samething, but all I can find, is that the multiplier helps keep the system in sync. I'm sure the FSB is a better improvement, otherwise we would see AMD at a 200 FSB and 15+ multipliers.

james.miller

the multiplier directly influences the cpu speed, and concerns nothing else.

memory speed x multiplier = cpu speed

it's the pci dividers that keep the system in spec (1/4, 1/5 and 1/6)
the reason we dont see low multi's and high fsb's as standard is because not many boards are capable of fsb's at 200mhz+ (which woulds mean a lot of incompatability) and is the main reason that AMD has only resently moved up from 133mhz fsb to 166mhz fsb.
It's all about compatibility.

OP
Toysrme

Toysrme

Yeah well raise the FSB lower the multi is just fine.... Accept when you're running odl hard drives for perminant warz duty. My yea and a half old GXP 60 runs strong at 150 FSB, this 10 gig and 2 gig (respectivly) won't hit a PCI clock of 34...

You think If I culd build afew WC setup's I'd know how to overclock, Jesus.

-Toysrme

Edit I have no idea. This was just the forum I was on with the other computer and posted. <g>

Last edited:

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
it mostly depends on the motherboard, i dont know about you guys, but i raise the multi AND the fsb:D

OP
Toysrme

Toysrme

Amen! Same <g> The way I do it is see how far the CPU will Boot into XP by changing the multi. Then I just raise the FSB until it's maxed and the CPU is close to what it can load windows at. Or vice versa, I just normally happen to know my max FSB before I know the max of what the CPU can run.

Works fine and is fairly quick. "raise the fsb one mhz at a time." LoL I don't have 5 hours! I've always just gave it a good guess and go go 5 more. If it runs go 5 more, if it dosn't there is only four MHZ in between to figure out. Well that's the quick way, maby not the best for someone that dosn't know how to reset a CMOS... But that's what I do

-Toysrme