• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 or MC462 heatsink..which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

Buddy of mine has a Swifty he will sell me for about the same as the cost of the new AX-7.

so now I need to know how well the AX-7 works. I have only read the one article on Overclockers.com

anyone using this thin reply please.

thanks,
Mike

Oh, it is going on a Shuttle AK35GTR board fyi

Yodums

What are the prices? If hes selling the Swiftech w/ a fan for the price of just a bare heatsink of an AX7, I'd take it, if it's heatsink for heatsink, then no I would go out and buy the AX7.

Just make sure you get a powerful 80mm fan with those things :)

res0r9lm

I would go with the swifty simply b/c it has a much superior mounting and also doesn't require lapping as some of the ax-7's do.

MikeTimbers

Hmm, my MC462 certainly did need lapping to remove a long groove across the entire width of the heatsink. That said, the mounting mechanism is enough to decide the issue for me. I have an Alpha 8045 as well, chsoen again for the secure safe simple mounting machanism.

OP

1eyedjak

the swifty will come with a fan which I will replace anyway with a fan I have now.

I was thinking I liked the secure mounting of the swifty.

wanted any info on the AX-7 and temps comparison etc.

I will probably get the swifty.

thanks,
Mike

any more advice bring it.

Cougar522

swifty hands down due to its serperior cooling abilits and excellent mounting system. And it would just be great to be able to say I got a swifty in my system.

Bull

I have the AX-7 in my comp right now and I have a Sunon 50 cfm fan on it and it keeps my temps at 35 degrees load. I have never owned the Swifty so I can't compare the two. All I can say is if you do get the AX-7 it will perform excellently and it uses all 6 lugs on the socket. I did not lap mine at all. The base was already smooth. I have an XP1600+ overclocked to 1.57 ghz. I'm still playing around with it I have had it up to 1.627 and it raises a couple of degrees.

res0r9lm

Bull said:
I have the AX-7 in my comp right now and I have a Sunon 50 cfm fan on it and it keeps my temps at 35 degrees load. I have never owned the Swifty so I can't compare the two. All I can say is if you do get the AX-7 it will perform excellently and it uses all 6 lugs on the socket. I did not lap mine at all. The base was already smooth. I have an XP1600+ overclocked to 1.57 ghz. I'm still playing around with it I have had it up to 1.627 and it raises a couple of degrees.
how hard was your hsf to mount? I have a swifty mc462 on my duron and it's full load temp is 33c I did have a 120w pelt on it and full temps 19c I a misfortune with one of the leads on the pelt so tossed it out:cry:
I also have the smaller swifty on [email protected] and it's full load temp is 40c but you have to remember that going to be putting out a lot more heat than your xp. your xp is putting out 70 watts and my tbird is putting out 105 watts. that is if you are running at default vcore of 1.75.
What kind of fan do you have? what vcore?

Bull

I have the voltage core at 1.80 resor and yes its not easy to mount. My Vantec CCK 6035 D was easier to mount but the AX-7 easily beats the Vantec. And the fan is a Sunon 80 mm 50cfm fan.

res0r9lm

that isn't much more heat than the 1.4 tbirds put out with stock vcore. I get a little better with @ default and a delta 68cfm 80mm fan and a vcore of 1.68 than stock but all in all seems like if everything was the same the two are pretty close to each other
edit: I'm sorry I forgot that the 462 is on my duron I'm only using the mcxc370 on the tbird.