• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX800 XT PE issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Section8

I just put this card in. I went from a 9700 Pro to this card. I uninstalled the drivers I was using via the add/remove program then I ran driver cleaner 2 after that. I rebooted and installed the ASUS drivers that were provided with the card. I then ran 3DMark2001 and got a very low score of 21,500. Then I tried to run 3DMark2003 and it just crashes to the desktop after a few minutes. I am running EVERYTHING at stock speeds. The card and the processor. I then went through the whole removing the drivers steps again but this time installed the new 4.7's from ATI and still 3DMark2003 crashes after a few minutes? Anyone got any ideas for me? I need help.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Did you say it was an Asus card? If it is then thats your problem. Asus Radeons are known for lots of problems. I would RMA it or get a refund and get a Sapphire or Built by ATI card.

-=Ambush=-

Wow that sucks. :(

Try a windows install? That's the only thing I can think of. Maybe try it in another PC.

BTW, where'd you get the card. They seem to be in a very limited quantity. :(

OP
Section8

Section8

I may just bring it back. I ordered it from my local computer shop. They received 2 in and I got one. I had it pre-ordered for 6 months. Now I am only getting 10K-12K in 3DMark2001. It just keeps getting worse.

Hellion

:confused: :cry: i am so sorry to hear about that man, i am getting an x800 XT PE myself, but that just plain sucks. to wait all that time to get a defect? people have died for less! LOL

scott_55X

krag said:
Did you say it was an Asus card? If it is then thats your problem. Asus Radeons are known for lots of problems. I would RMA it or get a refund and get a Sapphire or Built by ATI card.

That is simply misinformation, period.

ASUS cards are fine. There may actually be something wrong with the card, but if you can run 3dmark 2K1 then that is a good enough reason to attempt more things. You wouldn't feel too hot, if you RMA'ed , got something else only to find it's something else. As hard as the X800XT are to find, I think it would be worth it to format, and remove all other hardware, then try to run the card. If it still won't work, then it may be time to return. Maybe try some bios settings, like disable fastwrtes, etc.

OP
Section8

Section8

Thanx I am try everything I can to see if it helps. I have never had anything else but my 9700 Pro in this system so I doubt there is a driver conflict/issue. I have went up on the AGP voltage by incriments of .05 all the way to 1.8V. I don't think I should go any higher. At every incriment all the way to 1.8V It still will not run 3Dmark2003 or AguaMark3 without crashing to the desktop? I will probably do a fresh install on WinXP before I bring it back but I think the card is defective.

Styyn

First thing I'd do is bump your CPU and memory down to stock speeds to eliminate those oc's from the equation. Just this weekend I installed a 9800 Pro (while I wait for Gateway to pull their heads out and deliver my X800XT already...), and it wouldn't finish running 3D2k1 or 2k3, even though an hour before it had run fine on my old GF3. I bumped everything back down to stock and, voila, both benches went off without a hitch. Knowing that the card was ok, I cranked my cpu and mem back up and bumped my vcore voltage from 1.4875 to 1.5125 and now everything runs fine again.

Just a thought :)

Mr.Guvernment

^^^^

yes make everything stock! - defualt bios settings - format fresh - go to ATi site and get the cats from there and then try :D

Hellion

do you have a way to restet your cmos? So you can reset your bios Like mr. guv, said. Basicly because its a good idea to try and reset your cmos when you put new hardware in, or out. That way it has a decsnent chance of dealing with it.

OP
Section8

Section8

Styyn said:
First thing I'd do is bump your CPU and memory down to stock speeds to eliminate those oc's from the equation. Just this weekend I installed a 9800 Pro (while I wait for Gateway to pull their heads out and deliver my X800XT already...), and it wouldn't finish running 3D2k1 or 2k3, even though an hour before it had run fine on my old GF3. I bumped everything back down to stock and, voila, both benches went off without a hitch. Knowing that the card was ok, I cranked my cpu and mem back up and bumped my vcore voltage from 1.4875 to 1.5125 and now everything runs fine again.

Just a thought :)

Sorry I should have posted this already but I am already at stock settings. I did even reset the BIOS just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have tried dxdiag and it says everything is fine. I tried upping the AGP voltage to the card from 1.55 to 1.6 to 1.65 to 1.7 to 1.75 to 1.8 running benches at every step but still I have all the same problems. I also tried running the tests with Fast Writes off and still no go. I also tried running at 4X AGP but that didn't help either. I tried the ASUS drivers and the new 4.7 cat's and still the same problems. I put a multimeter on the 12V line and it barely moves 12.1 to 12.12. I have used driver cleaner in safe mode and then reinstalled the drivers and still it runs like crap. I think the card is defective? Anyone else have any ideas?

OP
Section8

Section8

No it isn't a heat issue. The card is barely warm and the ATI control panel says 44C. System temps are CPU=31C and System=28C.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
scott_55X said:
That is simply misinformation, period.

ASUS cards are fine.

Well we shall see about that. I have started a thread at a "Radeon only" message board at rage3D.com forums about Asus radeon problems. So far I have 2 replies with 1 saying no problems and 1 saying they have problems. It stands at 1:1 ratio so far. This is not designed to be exact science here, but just to see if there are a large number of problems with Asus Radeons.

Asus problem thread

tjr1973

I wouldn't send it back until you do a fresh install of windows XP. An hour of reformatting would be a lot better than months of waiting for another XT to show up if you're lucky enough for that to fix it. I take it your card isn't artifacting or tearing? Can you try it in another computer?

OP
Section8

Section8

Yeah I won't send it back until Iam %100 sure that it is the card. I am getting ready to do a fresh install now. I think I will grab an old HD and use that instead of loosing all my data.

OP
Section8

Section8

Well I did a fresh install and nothing changed. I still get crashes in most of my games and the card refusses to run 3DMark2003 or AquaMark3. When it crashes to the desktop I did go into the ATI control panel and look at temps again and they were pretty high like 68C so maybe the HS isn't seated right but I am not taking it apart to check and void my warrenty of my brand new $580 card!!!! So it goes back to the store tomorrow. I think I am going to see if they can get me a 6800 Ultra instead. If not then I will tell them to either get me a Built by ATI or a Saphire GFX card.