• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AXP 1600+ and Geil 3500 ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpw2atox

well I just got in 768MB of geil pc3500 ram and could finally push my cpu to the max. Before I had 512MB pc2700 generic at 166Mhz FSB and a 1.75Ghz clockspeed. After some initial problems such as multiple random crashes and running memtest86 v3.0 to find out that the 3rd chip was bad at the 252MB sector. Anyways now I have 512MB pc3500 ram and I feel a bit disapointed. I am currently at 1.8Ghz with a 170Mhz FSB. My memory timmings are 2.5, 2, 5, 2, 2T. My voltages are 1.85v core, 3.65v I/O, and 2.85v mem. Anyone else think I should be able to get more agressive memory timmings then that? Also if I push it up to 171Mhz then I get the occasional lockup and if i lower my I/O voltage I also run into a few stability problems. Still I am happy that I got a 400Mhz overclock out of my cpu and a 170Mhz FSB without having to unlock it.

SLO_N8

Unlock that CPU so that you can figure out your max mult/FSB combo :)

I was rather worried about unlocking my first time, and it was quite a pain the first time, but its so much easier to OC w/ it unlocked :D

Goo Kenson

Well you're only using a 333 board, so you can't expect to get the best results out of the RAM...

ThePunkGeek

that just sounds like you found the max the chip will overclock to. Inless your motherboard dosn't have a 1/5 divder and your pci is just to high.

elh

Registered
I have a very similar problem I get crashes just past 166MHz, could it be the board (Shuttle GT2 KT333)? Is is possible to do some volt mod for this board so as to increase I/O voltage?

SemiCycle

Ya, it sounds like he has maxed out the CPU too. What stepping is it? Most of the better stepping 1600XP chips can do 1900 easy with good cooling.

If this is the case, then the only way you will find out how far you can push yoru memory is to unlock the CPU and crank the FSB. I hope you decide to do this, because I want to hear you experience with that memory. Lots has been said about.

elh

Registered
So could someone point to a proper thread or explain whether I am pushing the limits of RAM or the motherboard past 166Mhz with my 1800+ unlocked. My RAM is being replaced as I am almost certain it was the RAM issue, nvertheless how do I check the mobo? Btw should I improve cooling on the northbridge, it seemed warm to me, so I placed 80mm sunon and it's cool, still I never saw posting above 174MHz on this board...

OP
D

dpw2atox

The chip is an AGOIA "Y" and my temps are fine. 38C to 40C idle depending on room temps and max is 42.5C full load. I have a SLK-800 with a 7400rpm fan on top. My board does have a 1/5 divider which is in use. I do have my cpu decode set to Ultra and if I lower it I think I might be able to get it higher but I am curious why my ram which is pc3500 ddr cl2.5 running at 170Mhz won't run stable at cl2. My other memory timmings are at 2, 5, 2 and 2T. My voltages are basically maxed out and I am running the latest bios which is B6 for my board. Also I can run my cpu stable at 1.75Ghz at 1.825v but only above that do I need to increase it to 1.85v so thats another reason I am wondering whats going on exactly.