• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AXP and Durons.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

Is there a significant difference between the Durons and AXPs in folding? Is it one of the things where the cache doesnt make a huge difference or what?

I think there was a huge debate on this a long while ago. If you take an XP and a Duron of similar clock speed the XP performed slightly better. However, at that time you could OC a Duron to a higher clock and therefore a faster folder.

However, now the XP's are clocking twice that of Durons so there's really no competition anymore.

Wedo

Last edited:
The new 1.4 & 1.6 Durons are doing 2.3-2.4 or more Ghz... so I think The Athlon XP's have some fairly good competition. Add to that the possiblilty of unlocking all the cache, damn good chip for the small amount of money!

oh and Wedo:

If you take an XP and a Duron of similar clock speed the AMD on performed slightly better.

I think you meant to say the XP... they are both AMD's my friend ;)

Thanks for the info. What about Celeries? Do they do well for this?

Wow K6s going 600Mhz? Damn!

I am going out on a limb here, but ...

Even with a faster Cel, you are most likely NOT going to beat a well overclocked Duron (thorton).

Anandtech

And since most Durons can unlock the extra 256 cache and hit 2.0 - 2.3 Ghz, a Celeron is just that, celery.

[shameless hijack]
I think a more interesting question is why do my tbreds b's([email protected] & [email protected]) out perform my barton (2500@ 2.3) at folding and nothing else...:eek:
[/shameless hijack]

Vampiregabe said:

[shameless hijack]
I think a more interesting question is why do my tbreds b's([email protected] & [email protected]) out perform my barton (2500@ 2.3) at folding and nothing else...:eek:
[/shameless hijack]

What David said and in addition, do you use the Barton rig more often for surfing, gaming, or anything at all?

Wedo

Yeah, some take 12 hours, some take a day. Depends on the WU, cpu speed, and how much you are using your computer while it folds.

Wedo

Well I had it on all day, just started :p and then I left mine on last night and it was just barely finished when I got up. I use the comp a fair amount so maybe that is why.

Wow your dually Barton must fold like a banshee!!??

Duallies are not really faster, they are just able to fold 2 WU's at the same time.

Nearly doulbe production, but only if you fold 2 WU's at a time, if you only fold one, it will still take the same time as a sigle cpu system.

Yes I have heard that before. But I am talking about what his machine can do. And in that case it is pretty damn fast for folding!

What does uncapped mean for a K6-2? The aluminum heatspreader removed?

Last edited:
Well I asked my school if i could set up some clients....they said no. It was worth a try. They claimed that it would bog thier systems down too much. :(

Back