• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ayhja Y

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NedClocker

My 1.4 @ 1.533 is an AYHJA Y!!! It was the first one I bought since my K6--2/450 and I didn't know anything about ocing then. I took the hsf off to clean it and checked the steppings and there it was, staring me in the face. I got lucky on that one. I don't think the other 1.4 is an ayhja. But I can't oc on that board anyway.

No wonder that sucker was so easy to overclock.
It was my first oc, so I thought, cool, this is no big deal. :)
Damn if I can get it to go above 1.533 though.

Any suggestions? I tried bumping the core up to 1.85.

Thanks bros. I knew y'all would be happy for me. No one else I know knows anything about it.

Nice that you found that out. That cpu should be able to get upthere just a little more though. I think they were maxing out a little under 1.7 or so. My 1.0's will go faster than 1.5. I have one at 1542 now. and it's not even flinching. I don't know much about your current board though. As always there is the usual set of culprits. RAM, mobo, psu, cooling, etc. to check out.

Ploaf said:
Nice that you found that out. That cpu should be able to get upthere just a little more though. I think they were maxing out a little under 1.7 or so. My 1.0's will go faster than 1.5. I have one at 1542 now. and it's not even flinching. I don't know much about your current board though. As always there is the usual set of culprits. RAM, mobo, psu, cooling, etc. to check out.
>50% oc?!?! That's great. I thought 24% was cool.
512 meg, generic, I think, cas2
Epox 8KTA3+ BIOS supports increasing the multiplier and FSB settings - that's how I have it o/c'ed now - 11.5 * 133
Antec 400 watt
It was a retail box deal at fry's - so it came with a hsf
BUT it's really not too bad. temp right now is 116 F (folding, of course) Uhhh, I have the sides off of the box and a 4" fan blowing into it. :D That MIGHT help, a LITTLE. :rolleyes:
I have a copper hsf on the other 1.4 that I can use. But that 1.4 is at 120 F right now, sides off, no fan blowing in. It doesn't seem to be any better that the one that came with the ayhja.

vid card is some Geforce 2 mx400 or another. let me look.
Here it is. AOpen Geforce2 MX400 with 64 meg - Is that good? :rolleyes:

What else do we need to know?

The PSU looks good, try setting the RAM to Cas3, or try just one stick.

PenguinFreak said:
The PSU looks good, try setting the RAM to Cas3, or try just one stick.

ok. thanks. will try. but the 512 ram IS one stick. :)

NedClocker said:

ok. thanks. will try. but the 512 ram IS one stick. :)

I see - I wasn't sure. I have 512MB - 2x128MB and 1x256MB

I could only afford 128 when I bought my machine :)

NedClocker said:

512 meg, generic, I think, cas2
Epox 8KTA3+ BIOS supports increasing the multiplier and FSB settings - that's how I have it o/c'ed now - 11.5 * 133
Antec 400 watt
It was a retail box deal at fry's - so it came with a hsf
BUT it's really not too bad. temp right now is 116 F (folding, of course) Uhhh, I have the sides off of the box and a 4" fan blowing into it. :D That MIGHT help, a LITTLE. :rolleyes:
I have a copper hsf on the other 1.4 that I can use. But that 1.4 is at 120 F right now, sides off, no fan blowing in. It doesn't seem to be any better that the one that came with the ayhja.

vid card is some Geforce 2 mx400 or another. let me look.
Here it is. AOpen Geforce2 MX400 with 64 meg - Is that good? :rolleyes:

What else do we need to know?

I think your problem might be that you need better cooling. I have the same stepping [email protected] I get 1620 stable if I go higher @ at that vcore it turns in bad wu's. you could also try using a duct made out of cardboard and duct tape that is what I use on mine with a 120 mm fan inside the other end of the duct that should drop your temps by 6-8c I got 37c folding until I raised
vcore up to 1.95 now I have a average of 41c folding.

My t-bird AYHJA Y 1.4 maxes out at 1664, it runs stable at 1651 but i like to keep the temps down!

MDA

MDA said:
My t-bird AYHJA Y 1.4 maxes out at 1664, it runs stable at 1651 but i like to keep the temps down!

MDA

it will probly go a lot higher with the right cooling and a higher vcore mine maxes at 1694 haven't tried any higher I prefer to keep close to 40c anything above 1.85 vcore you really need water cooling (or atleast awesome air cooling and then your not going to get good temps if you pass 1.95)

NedClocker said:

24% is cool. I just knew that the chip would do that and they were $70 when I bought them. I still think that these are almost stepped down 1.4's because they were hitting such high speeds with almost zero effort and high temps didn't bother them until I really pushed it.

You're temps are getting up there, but then the room may be warm. I'll echo the better cooling sentiment. ANother thing. Can you change the fsb to 138. Maybe cut the multiplier down and up the fsb some more too.

Penguin, I bought it when it was down to $45 for the 512 stick. Bought one for the other t-bird, too.

Ploaf, the room is about 80 F. All 4 computers are in here and I usually keep the door shut.

I'll try the fsb thing again in a little while.

res0r9lm, the sides are off of the case and I have a 4" fan hanging on the side of the case blowing in. It really does help. I have the vcore at 1.85. I tried 1.95 but it didn't help. 1.95 is as high as I can go on this mobo.

What about bumping up the i/o voltage and/or the agp voltage?

Thanks for the input, guys.

NedClocker said:
Penguin, I bought it when it was down to $45 for the 512 stick. Bought one for the other t-bird, too.

Ploaf, the room is about 80 F. All 4 computers are in here and I usually keep the door shut.

I'll try the fsb thing again in a little while.

res0r9lm, the sides are off of the case and I have a 4" fan hanging on the side of the case blowing in. It really does help. I have the vcore at 1.85. I tried 1.95 but it didn't help. 1.95 is as high as I can go on this mobo.

What about bumping up the i/o voltage and/or the agp voltage?

Thanks for the input, guys.
how is 5v line? don't think Vio voltage is going to help unless you were going for high fsb. even with a room temp of 80f you could Improve temps best thing about use a duct is your getting fresh air to hsf. using a extra fan blow onto hsf helps but your getting hot air backwashing back into hsf. Try making a duct out of cardboard and duct tape and see if it helps. what do you have to lose if it does drop temps you are out a used box and a few strips of tape. I've been thinkinking about taking my heatsink fan off and just use the duct it self with the bigger fan. thinking it will cool better due to hsf have motor blocking air flow to center of heatsink.
EDIT: Temp have went up 1c but I think it is from disturbing heatsink have to see if it drops when everything settles. the good news is the noise level has dropped dramaticly. one fan is a panaflo and the other is a radio shack brand. man the panflo makes every thing sound like a stock computer wish would have got two.

Last edited:
I'm incline to think it's your temps. I found that mine gets unstable @ 45c when I have it overclocked at 1654 going to give it a few days to see if temps get better if not I will put other fans back on. funny what one degree will do for you. never had an error before the max peaked at 44c

res0r9lm said:
I'm incline to think it's your temps. I found that mine gets unstable @ 45c when I have it overclocked at 1654 going to give it a few days to see if temps get better if not I will put other fans back on. funny what one degree will do for you. never had an error before the max peaked at 44c

I have to agree with the temps. Your room temps are not helping at all although I don't know if there's much you can do with the weather that you have there and that may not be it. Can't think of too many other choices. Lots and lots of air or water and a bong(for water cooling that is ;)) Maybe air conditioning or an open window :)

Which is better, AYJHA Y OR AYJHA 9???
I just checked my other 1.4 and it is a ayjha 9.

NedClocker said:

In this case they are very close but the AYHJA Y should best the 9.
9 is usually one of the worst you can get and don't always OC very well at all, the AYHJA anything seem to be very good overclockers.
The AXIA's were doing great too. There's a couple of other great steppings.
Every CPU is different, but the steppings seem to be good indicators of where you can take a cpu.

NedClocker said:
letters have alway seemed to overclock better than numbers. why don't you overclock both and see which one is better. from what i have heard the only stepping better than AYJHA Y is the AYHJA R.

ok. that looks right in my case also. I was going to swap fans between the 1.4s, and thought, what the hay, lets swap cpus, too. That's when i saw the other 1.4 was ayhja 9.

ok the ayhja 9 is now in the epox board at 1533 with temp of 113 F. I had to up the vcore to 1.85 to get it to do 1533 (133 * 11.5) the ayhja y did it with no increase in vcore.

I sure wish there was a way to oc the shuttle mobo.

the ayhja y is in the shuttle ak12a doing 1.4 ghz and the temp is 125 F. So, there must be something wrong with the ak12a or it's temp sensor, cause it shows to be running hotter at a lower speed.

Think I'll try one or maybe both if them in one of the k7s5a boards just to see what'll happen.

Back