• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AZZA Power Supplies, OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porvalsh

I was going to purchase this case since its such a rockin deal and the reviews seem to put it about the same as the Antec 900 in terms of cooling performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517004&cm_re=AZZA-_-11-517-004-_-Product

I could eventually use a new power supply though (in addition to the one in my sig) because an older computer of mine is still running an enermax egp465. I can score another 40 bucks off through a combo deal but are the AZZA power supplies good or not?

OP
Porvalsh

Porvalsh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.285819

This is the combo. After rebates a new case and 650W power supply for 80 bucks. I can't find much info on AZZA since they are new to the PS/Case market. I was trying to find their OEM supplier but can't find that either.

The computer will be running a slightly overclocked Pii X4 955, 1 hard drive, 1 DVD drive and SLI 8000GTS G92's. It will fold 24/7.

ratbuddy

That combo you linked shows an '850w' PSU. Sure it's the right one?

edit: I can't find anything about the OEM either. It's not even a UL listed PSU. I'd stay away..

Anyone know which certification the attached image shows?

Attachments

• ULthingy.jpg
    ULthingy.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 4,608
Last edited:

ratbuddy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.285821

The 850 watt is 10 bucks more than the 650 one.

The 850 W one has 4 12v rails at 18/18/20/22 Amps and EPS capable.

The 650W has better 12v rails, 2 @ 21A and 22A and enough connectors for SLI 8800GTS'.

The Dynamo line of power supplies differ from the Titan line in that they aren't 80+ efficient.

Both of Corsair's 650w units are rated for 52A on the 12v rails. The Azza is rated for 38A. That should be enough right there not to touch it :p

Also non-APFC, low efficiency, and over time, will cost you more to run than a unit with a more modern design, especially on a folding rig that will be at full load 24/7. Check out the Corsair VX550W for example. Rated for 3 amps more on the 12v than that '650w' unit even.

edit: LOL from Azza's website: check out that maximum power! Nice!!!!

Attachments

• azzawtf.jpg
    azzawtf.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 4,500
Last edited:
OP
Porvalsh

Porvalsh

When I compare to a 620HX it seems comparable though.

For instance the Corsair 620HX:
[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],- [email protected],[email protected]

AZZA Dynamo 650:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected],[email protected], [email protected]

Combined it has less amps but only because it has 2 rails and not three.

The Azza Dynamo 850 has 60A total on the 12v, which is the same as the 750tx.
[email protected] , [email protected], [email protected],[email protected], [email protected]

The Titan which is 80+ certified has 68A
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

J-O_S-H

Ithink the main point is most PSU's that are cheap and/or not well known never live up to their specs.

Brands like Corsair are 1000% higer build quality (materials, components) and often always put out what they say they can and often even more.

Thats why they cost more... and THEY ARE WORTH IT

Realistically most knowledgable people would prefer a Corsair HX620 over a 1200w no name that costs the same or less

ratbuddy

The Azza '650' doesn't supply less amps because it has less rails. It supplies less amps because it's underbuilt. See the attached pictures for the whole story; first is the Azza, showcasing its puny 38A combined 12V rating, then a Corsair HX620 showing 600w/50A. Yes, a PSU that says 30 watts less can actually supply almost 150 watts MORE where it counts. The 650 watt Corsairs are 52A capable, and all the Corsairs (or other quality brands) are much more efficient than the Azza, which, again, will absolutely save you cash over the long term in a folding rig.

edit: Oh yeah, one more thing: The Corsair is rated at 50C. The Azza? 25C. That's 77 Fahrenheit. Bet ya it runs warmer than that.

Attachments

• azza650.jpg
    azza650.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,337
  • corsair620.jpg
    corsair620.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4,308
OP
Porvalsh

Porvalsh

All the PS I've owned have been Enermax and Corsair. I'm just trying to figure out if this newcomer is discounting because they are trying to enter the market or if they are discounting because they suck.

The 620W unit will get more amps because it is more efficient, thus the 80+ rating. The question with those two is do you need more than 38A? I dont' necessarily think that since its not as efficient its not as good, although this may be the case.

Another comparison of units that are more identical. 850W's.

corsair850hx.jpg

azzatitan850.jpg

The Titan has the same wattage and same 80+ cert. It trails the Corsair by 2amps on the 12v rail, 1 amp on the 3.3 and .3A on the -12v but is higher on the 5v and +5VSB.

azzadynamo850.jpg

The Dynamo 850 is not 80+ certified, which means it can't quite put out the same amps on the 12V rail but still puts out 60, which is the same as the 750tx. Seems like a toss up to me.

The Corsair 850HX is 199, 169 after rebate. Price increase because its modular(and also a new design I think) I don't care about it being modular though.
The Corsair 850TX is 140, 109 after rebate.
The AZZA Titan 850 is 140, 99 after rebate.
The AZZA Dynamo 850 is 99, 59 after rebate!

50 bucks is pretty good savings off the 850 TX for only a 2% efficiency increase. 100 bucks difference between the Dynamo and the HX, since I don't mind hiding cables, is a big difference!

Last edited:

ratbuddy

The specs on the Titan model look a little more in line with the watt rating, but it's still rated at 25C. Forget the Dynamo line, they are budget PSUs and will just cost more to run.

As far as anything 'getting more amps because it's more efficient,' that's sort of the whole point of efficiency. Higher efficiency means it'll put out more output for any given input level. Saves you cash on the power bill and means it runs cooler.

It's up to you how to spend your cash, but I really wouldn't touch those Azza units. PSU is simply not an area where you (well, I) want to skimp.