• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bacitracin Zinc Ointment works as Thermal Compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Heh, it is a first aid antibiotic, and it worked relatively well. Dropped CPU idle temps by four degrees. 38°C to 34°C. Works better than nothing, I guess?

Ingredients:
500 units Bacitracin Zinc per gram in white petrolatum base.

-Store at room temperature 15°C-25°C.

...wonder what problems await? *laughs*

-Frank

Mico

I put something that cools better than as3 in my mouth? Maybe it's all the 'cool' mint flavoring that drops the temps. (Haha! Look at my joke! I am such a funny person...heh...yeah, I'll shut up now).

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

....well, I didn't have anything there before, and I know it'll dry up, but it'll still transfer heat then. It is still running after about two weeks.

-Frank

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
lol!

I love creative thinking ;)

Keep us updated as to how it performs long term, will you?
I'm very curious about the longevity and performance loss.

RoadWarrior

I did a test once with "nappy rash cream" Which is zinc oxide in a castor oil base. It was a bit empirical but here's what I found.

I didn't have much in the way of sophisticated measuring equipment, so what I did was got some aluminum bottle caps and a small cup sized hot plate. I put a small amount of water in the bottle caps and timed how long they took to boil.

The cap that was "dry" took around 2 minutes to boil.
The cap that had zinc oxide cream under it, took around 1 minute to boil.
The cap that had generic zinc oxide heatsink compound under it took around 30 secs to boil.

I noticed that there was a lot of stuff boiling out from under the cap with the zinc oxide cream, I think there was some alcohol and other lighter things in it. So I put a capful of the stuff on the hotplate and left it overnight, until it was thicker and more the same consistancy of the zinc oxide heatsink compound. Then, testing a cap with this under it showed the water boiled in 40 secs.

So I concluded that zinc oxide cream is not quite as good as generic thermal compound, but it seems significantly better than a "dry" interface.

Also I think that were a heatsink installed long enough for both zinc oxide compound and the zinc cream to completely dry out, then they would be about the same.

regards,

Road Warrior

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

Yeah, which was my theory. The petrol substance would dry out, and I'd still be left with a film of zinc in the microscopic pores, thus making for a better transferable substance... I'll check it when I get it plugged back in at home.

-Frank