• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back from huge death spiral into internet hell...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
That's right. I FINALLY have broadband again after a 4 month slump of waiting for DirecTV to remove it's death grip from my dead DSL connection. Since then I've fallen 200 ranks in [email protected] Team 32.

But, I'm back up and crunching a Gromac-a-day with my stable 1900+ AGOGA. I don't have any recruitment options at current but I might have a friend in Montana who will be joining once I get his 2100+ machine built.

Ah, it feels good to be productive again. :)

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Great to have you back. That directv thing was nothing but a bummer although my transition to SBC went rather smooth. I switched as soon as I got the first notice that they were going belly up. Oh yea I got a check from them (directv) the other day also. Surprised me to see it. It was a partial reimbursment for the last month with them

Last edited:

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
So you couldn't use the internet from your house for 4 months?

If so that's terrible, congrats on the survival. :D

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Ben721 I'm sure he had a dialup account. And folding with that would be terrible. What happens is you need to get your phone line setup for dsl @ your local phone co,and only one dsl provider at a time can have access to it. When Directv went belly up they had control of the phoneline. His problem I assume was getting directv off of his line to allow him to setup a new dsl provider. Probably his local phone co was the main problem.

Blueacid

I hate that feeling, when your internet is down, and folding is waiting for new WUs, but can't get them...

You feel so unproductive :)

Stated in every single post by NASSoccer

FOLD ON!

JDXNC

Tismedt said:
Ben721 I'm sure he had a dialup account. And folding with that would be terrible.

folding on 56k is not problem, I have 5 rigs folding on one 56k connection, not a single problem.

But anyway, team 32 is happy to have you back CS! Every cpu counts.

OP
Captain Slug

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Tismedt said:
Ben721 I'm sure he had a dialup account. And folding with that would be terrible.

I don't have a modem in this machine and my sister is online almost 24/7 so there was no way outside of stuffing her in a closet that I could manage to fold on a dial-up connection.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
JDXNC said:

folding on 56k is not problem, I have 5 rigs folding on one 56k connection, not a single problem.

But anyway, team 32 is happy to have you back CS! Every cpu counts.

Now that I think about it you are right. The only time you use the connection (Dialup, dsl, cable whatever) is for downloading and uploading WU. That wouldnt slow down the work on each WU. I stand corrected.

DreamingWolf

Wheel Walker
Captain Slug said:

I don't have a modem in this machine and my sister is online almost 24/7 so there was no way outside of stuffing her in a closet that I could manage to fold on a dial-up connection.

As a Folding Master, why would it be a problem to get her in a closet? She's made of proteins.....you fold proteins......no problem:D

DWolf:cool:

JDXNC

DreamingWolf said:

As a Folding Master, why would it be a problem to get her in a closet? She's made of proteins.....you fold proteins......no problem:D

DWolf:cool:

LMAO! :D I woulda done if I had too! 1337 sister pH0LdiNg 5K1ll$ :p

bubba gump

And if i remember right, DMK has set up a dial-up LAN at his house, until he moves and gets the new house i dont think hes gonna get broadband (or so he says :))

But glad to have you back CS, fold on :)

OP
Captain Slug

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I folded a 40 point WU a week ago. Anyone know which core that would have been?
production.php

I'm averaging 33 points every two days, but my point average was better when I WASN'T folding Gromacs. Once I finish this WU I'm probably going back to regular proteins.

Last edited: