• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back in the fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Well after 10+ years away from folding, overclocking, etc. I will be folding for 32 again. Figured I had better put this Vega 64 to some good use. I set up a WattMan profile for 900mV, 1442MHz on the GPU and stock 945mhz on the HBM. Actual clocks while folding run in the low 1300MHz range and power draw remains below 120W, keeping my loop nearly silent. Fans run at 600rpm instead of 500rpm. For now the CPU will have to stay out of it, probably not worth it.

Considering setting up folding coin, anyone think it's worth the effort?

Welcome back, GPU folding is where it's at but CPU folding can still be done, just not as many points as GPU. As for coin folding you will have to get with Torin on that.

Welcome back Zerileous!

Be careful around WhitehawkEQ and don256us, they like starting friendly competitions that you always get sucked in to and next thing you know you're trying to squeeze 7 GPUs in to a micro ATX case :p

Welcome back Zerileous!

Be careful around WhitehawkEQ and don256us, they like starting friendly competitions that you always get sucked in to and next thing you know you're trying to squeeze 7 GPUs in to a micro ATX case :p

It's usually Don256us who starts the competitions...and then disappears! :D

Welcome back Zerileous!

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I was just thinking that my basement needed a new heater.

Welcome back. Whether or not it is worth it to set up for foldingcoin? It isn't that much work to set the wallet name in your username. As long as you make sure you've got your password you can get to them whenever you want. And you can save them until you have enough / the price is worth it to cash out.

Let me know if you have any problems with the guide.

Well after 10+ years away from folding, overclocking, etc. I will be folding for 32 again. Figured I had better put this Vega 64 to some good use. I set up a WattMan profile for 900mV, 1442MHz on the GPU and stock 945mhz on the HBM. Actual clocks while folding run in the low 1300MHz range and power draw remains below 120W, keeping my loop nearly silent. Fans run at 600rpm instead of 500rpm. For now the CPU will have to stay out of it, probably not worth it.

Considering setting up folding coin, anyone think it's worth the effort?

That is pretty close to my Vega 56 settings I settled on. 950mV, 1620 GPU (runs at low 1500s mostly), 950 on the HBM, -10% power limit. It pulls 120-170W from the wall depending on the WU. I'm on air with a blower so it didn't make much difference to drop the voltage and clocks any further as it was only slightly less loud

Hoping I can eek a few more out once Getting a fan controller from aquacomputer (nothing fancy, just a QUADRO). It should let me adjust based on rad exhaust temps (will move to water temps next time I work on the loop). CPU temps jump around too much right now with a loaded loop.

The QUADRO is great. I have the temp probe set up on the air exhausting from my rad, then I used a IR thermometer to set an offset to reflect the actual temp of the rad/loop. Fans are steady and can handle a lot more heat this way, without obnoxiously bouncing around. Full AquaSuite functionality for $45 is a steal. It even operates the fan curve from bios, like a full on controller. I think they're selling it short calling it a hub.

I see (very rough estimate) 20% increase in PPD going from 1000mV to 1050mV, and while the fans are noticeable they are not intrusive (can not hear when HVAC is running, however not what I would describe as "quiet" when not. Yes my place does have loud HVAC. Its geothermal so they substitute delta T with airflow.

As I mentioned in other thread, my Vega56 with 64 BIOS at stock Vega64 clocks so 1630/945MHz and voltage lowered to about 1.1V shows ~130W in GPUZ (GPU only) and up to 1.4M PPD. Actually depends on the project it's between 800k and 1.4M. GTX1080Ti at 70% power limit which had about 160W could do between 800k and 1.2M, at 100% power was between 1.0-1.3M, depends on the project but for most of the time results were worse than on Vega. Considering all price drops, Vega seems pretty good for folding.
I'm not folding anymore because of my electricity bills. Was just checking how it works on Vega.

Yeah voltage and PPD definitely seems to scale. It would be interesting to test it out and see the most efficient settings, i.e. PPD/Watt for this card. I have my rig plugged into a Kill-A-Watt as well. At 1050mV it only reads 120W with a browser open. I also have "Folding Power" set to medium in the Advanced Control clinet, as this is what it was set at when it was installed and I haven't changed it. I don't know what this slider does or what the best settings are.

I would need some direction on how long to run at various setting since PPD varies so much from project to project.

Steve, you should check my post on Win 10 Pro for Workstations here.
I have this on both of my 4P's (yes I still have my 4P's :))

That's awesome! How are they holding up in comparison to GPU folding?! I wish I didnt have to part mine out--but hey, the Bahamas cruise was a nice get-a-way with the wife!

That's awesome! How are they holding up in comparison to GPU folding?! I wish I didnt have to part mine out--but hey, the Bahamas cruise was a nice get-a-way with the wife!

When I do have them folding, I get about 150k-250k+ ppd on a7 core for each 4P.

Back