• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back to watercooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostmeister

Well, I've just come off night shift, and have a few days to potter about with my system again. It's been watercooled for the last few months, but recently I put it back to aircooling as I was expecting a bunch of stuff to come through - which hasn't yet. It wasn't until I put aircooling back in that I remember why I went H2O. The noise. It's just so much more quiet, and I like to listen to jazz and ambient stuff alot, which is why I watercooled in the firstplace. So, today, I'm putting a watercooling system back in my pc, with a few modifications. The pump's upgraded from an eheim1046 to an eheim1250, and the tubing has gone from no-name clear stuff which turned out rubbish, to braided 10mm clear pneumatic hose. A bit smaller than I'd like ideally, but there you go. I'm also making a reservoir from some copper I had laying about. It's just 1/32 sheet, but I've made a box 80mm tall, and 65mm square, and soldered a base on of the same thickness copper. It's going to be an inline system and the res is purely for filtering out bubbles and filling ease. I know I could have had an inline "T" but it's more joints and hassle and I had this stuff laying about, so thought I'd make one myself as I couldn't find anything else suitable. I'll post some pics when I'm done though.

OP
F

frostmeister

Well, back up and running :) . I bought a shed load of hose today - I said in my last post, but it's about 30 feet altogether. Nice stuff too. If you stretch the end and ply it a bit before putting it on a joint, it stretches nicely. 1250 is up and going well. Hell getting bubbles out of it though. Attached a pic, it's still a bit untidy, and not portable, but at least it's quiet. I might have a seating problem with one of my CPUs (the system in my sig is a joke btw) as my temps are 38 and 43 C - rad fan on 5v. It's a series setup as you can see (kind of) from the pic, and all the air's out the system. I'll have to wait and see, but it might be also because of the thinner tubing combined with a more powerful pump, even though there's faster flow. Oh well, it's nice and quiet again anyway :)

Toysrme

No expert in water cooling or SMP systems. but I bet the reason is because one processor is loaded whilest the other processer is at idle <g>

-Toysrme

OP
F

frostmeister

Could be, as it's the main cpu. Well, primary cpu, that's at 49C. I'm trying re-adjusting the screws on the W/B mounting to adjust the mounting pressure at the minute. I think my guess would be that the pump is building up back pressure due to the hose diameter. REal shame too, as it's nice hose. Doesn't kink too easy, and fits nice and tight. That maybe coupled with the length of hose in my system. I was a bit generous. It's such a chore to take it all apart though. O yeah, my CPU voltage is at 1.79 and 1.76 CPU 0/1 respectively, so I may try manually adjusting the voltage to get the default 1.75. Maybe there's an air bubble in the thermal paste I didn't catch. Who knows? I'll post what I find anyways.

OP
F

frostmeister

Cracked the temperature problem. Took the W/B's off and cleaned off the thermal paste I was using. The paste I ws using was coolermaster premium, a grey thick kind of paste. I've used it to good effect before, but it seems like I maybe put too much on / whatever. So, back to the standard white goop, and hey presto. The indicator was that I have a series setup, so what affects one processor must be affecting both, if it was in the cooling setup; The thing was, the main processor was at 48/50C and the second CPU was somewhere around 40-45C. Loading questions aside, even with a paralell split on the blocks like I had before, the temps never strayed more than 3/5C from each other. In a series setup, because the primary CPU is first, it must be cooler - even though the difference might be 1/2 a degree. My own thinking anyway. SO a 5C increase on the first CPU in the line meant something was up. Anyway, situation back under control, CPU temps now 41/41 - with the fan on 5volts again. I might whack it up to 12volts to see what effect this has... I'll post again if it's anything notable. seeyas all...

WarriorII

Moderator #666
I use to use a 25mhz 386 @ work.
Had a whole 4 mb of ram !
Use to push it to 33 mhz, untill the boss found out. :(
Then we upgraded it to a 486 ! :)

hehehehe, not that long ago either.... 6 yrs.

Codeman05

WarriorII said:
I use to use a 25mhz 386 @ work.
Had a whole 4 mb of ram !
Use to push it to 33 mhz, untill the boss found out. :(
Then we upgraded it to a 486 ! :)

hehehehe, not that long ago either.... 6 yrs.

Lmao, we had one at home back in the day...musta been around '88 I think because I was around 8 or so. Still works lol. I think it had a 40MB hard drive, or maybe a 80meg lol