• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

backing up games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

when i copy a game folder and then format and then put that same game folder back into the harddrive when i double click the exe to play it usually says error or file missing? why is this. i copied the ENTIRE game folder why cant it find what it needs after format.

Westside05

maybe u didn't copy any hidden files? there r some games that put random files on different directories. Cleansweep might help u with that.

Sterculus

Yes, programs will leave random files around in other spots of your computer, so just copying the game folder won't work, as it won't have the shared files and registry keys and whatever else it put somewhere else. Also, next time I would recommend posting a question like this in the software section, as you might get some better responses from the people lurking there rather than in CPUs ;)

Mr.Guvernment

Just back up your config files and save dgame directorie s- then reinstall the game and copy back over those folders - i assume that is why you do this.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Files are registered, if you just copy the folders, the necessary file registrations will not be found in the registry and that is a problem.

Application installations are often not simply a gathering of data in one location or folder - there are dependencies external to the program folder.