• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backing up important files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chipvideo

I need to backup my computer so I can re install windows xp. I need my most important files like internet, email and the usual stuff. What is the easiest way to do this? I just hate to have to lose my important emails and pictures.

CD's is one way if it isn't too much info, or you could get an extra HDD... Thats pretty much it if you want to reinstall a brand new install (otherwise you could use ghost to make an image of the drive and put it on a new one).

you can export your contacts, favorites & other stuff to a file of your choice and then copy them to a floppy or cd. Then, after installing windows, you import them. Checck windows help on exactly how.

Good luck!

I dont want to back up the entire drive. I only want to back up photos, internet and email settings because my computer has lots of bugs. Too much downloaded software and I used tweak xp and it really messed up things.

oh, right like itshondo said XP has some settings export thing... Not sure where it is and how to use it, you might need to check the microsoft website and do a little searching:D It also might not take what settings you want or might take extra... I don't know.

Its not hard, just run the windows buckup utility (i am serious) ;)
It has some really cool options... At least the XPs buckup util.

Back