• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

backup drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac_dm

Registered
I bought a new 120 gig and i dont have the space on my little 20 gig to back up all the info i need. I dont want to spend another 100$ and get another one. so does anyone know a good solution. I would like to back up very regularly and there is to much data for CDR's or zip drives. its like 40 gig worth if stuff and growing fast..

any help would be great!!! thanks

t_biggs

The only option I can think of is buy another hard drive. Even with DVD writers, you'd need around 10 disks for 40 gigs, plus you'd need to buy a DVD writer, which would cost as much as a new hard drive.

Or if you have other computers on a network in the house, just back up to them if they have room. Otherwise I think you're out of luck, unless you want to pay for a solution that would cost more than another drive (like a DVD writer or tape drive.)

OP
M

Mac_dm

Registered
Because i have like 40 gig worth of stuff that would not fit on the 20 gig

K1ll1nT1m3

The best bet will be another HDD.

A DVD burner will cost too much, online storage will cost too much. The cheapest way would be to back it all up to cds but that will take forever. The next cheapest thing will be to write it to another hard drive.

OP
M

Mac_dm

Registered
ya i think i may have to fork over the money. ok so how does everyone back up?? does everyone have two of the same size hard drive or what??

K1ll1nT1m3

My favorite way is to use a 3rd party image program. It will copy all of the data ( data and OS files, the whole partition ) and save it all as a file. Then if you need to restore it, it installs everything, just like it was when you made the image.

A cheaper way is to just copy all of the files you want backed up to the other hard drive. If you lose an OS, then you have to reinstall the OS and reinstall those files. Its cheaper, but it takes longer.

Another way, is to use the management program in the OS to make a backup. I havent had very good luck with this, so Im not going to recomend it.

Another way ( if your OS supports it ) would be to convert the drives to volumes and setup a mirrored image between the 2 drives. I guess its not that easy really, most people havent used volumes before. This is a very nice option, if you have the time to research it and are ok with having to try it a few times if you havent done it before. ( probably not a good option if you have data only on one of the drives and cant risk losing it ) It writes data to both drives at the same time. Then if you lose a drive, you still have the same setup on the other drive. It writes the data to both drives almost instantly, so you dont have to worry about data not getting backed up.

edit: Most people us a mix of these. I think it just takes trial and error to find out what works for you. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
M

Mac_dm

Registered
ok so i guess i need to get another hard drive. does anyone know where to get cheap hard drives. I wouldnt care how fast they are or anything I would just be intrested in the volume of the drive.