• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad 5v rail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
The last week or so I've been having problems with my machine. It has been running at the same overclock for a while and is 100%stable. It runs seti 24/7, and i've had no problems.

I think it would be my PSU on its way out, the 5v line is real low. I've ordered a 420w Enermax unit, to replace the current generic 400w unit. Do you think that the new unit will be upto it ?

I have the following running on the current one:

x3 120mm YSTech fans 8.5w each
x2 Seagate Barracude 40gb ATA 100
x1 Pioneer DVD
x1 HD CDRW
USB HUB
USB Mouse
USB Camera Docking Station
SB Live! Platinium
Geoforce 2 mmx200 modded with a 60mm and 40mm fans
Glaciator II HSF
Hard Drive Cooler

My Voltages are as follows, I've had to back my OC off a bit for the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If that +5V readout is correct (4.46V) you defintiely need to improve something there. Before you do anything, get a second reading on that +5V with a multimeter to make sure your monitoring hardware is giving you a correct reading.

Hoot

Thanks for the tips guys.

The PSU arrived this morning and it was sweet looking. Gold fan grills and see though fan on one side.

Installed and am getting a 5v line between 4.91 and 4.93.

Much better :D

5v rail

Hi
I modded my case ( Home made pexiCube) so I cut off the unused power leads leaving one set spare in case of upgrades
its a Enermax 300w before I was getting 4.97 after I get 5.05 as I type

Bose

Instead of starting a new thread I guess I could post in here. Is a 4.83v on my +5 really bad? It fluctuates between 4.81 and 4.83. And I'm not even overclocked! And a new PSU is not an option. No $$$ :( Oh, and if you want to know my PSU is a Leadman/Powmax 400W

Last edited:
4.8 is not bad, What other hardware have you got running in the case.

Are you thinking about overclocking your system ?

RED Hot Machine said:
4.8 is not bad, What other hardware have you got running in the case.

Are you thinking about overclocking your system ?

Its an Athlon Tbird 1.33, 512MB Ram, Iwill KK266, 2 HDs, CD burner and 52X reader, Geforce2 MX 400, SMC NIC, Soundblaster LIVE!, 3 120mm fans, Glaciator HSF. I have had this system up to 1466Mhz, but it won't go any higher.

Did you try a little more vcore that sometimes helps.

By the way i just hit 160 FSB with the New PSU. That is a new high for me :D

RED Hot Machine said:
Did you try a little more vcore that sometimes helps.

By the way i just hit 160 FSB with the New PSU. That is a new high for me :D

I had the Vcore at max and several other settings

I gonna post a reply here too...
I got a weird one.....
whenever I power on my aver tv pvi card, my +5v drops from +5.05 to +5.03
then after extended viewing my pc reboots....
any ideas?
my psu is 2 &1/2 yrs old, I purchased it from pc power and cooling for 250$ its a masive 400w somehting-or-other. :beer:

Don't rely on MBM or BIOS to report correct values for voltage - recall how bad a job it does with temps!

Always double check your voltage values with a multimeter, you might be suprised how far off your BIOS is.

Back