• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Company 2 - PC Demo on Jan. 28th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunTzu69

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - on PC (BC2)

Note: All is speculation until confirmed by DICE/EA/Steam. I am posting what appears to be confirmed to me...

Some people are calling the first week a beta since it is only semi-open, and other say it is a multiplayer demo because eventually pretty much everybody will get to try it after a week or two of partial exclusivity. It lasts from January 28th to February 25th, and the game comes out exactly a week after that. Here is what I have read:

- It will not be a mere console port
- It will make use of DX11
- There have been suggestions it may use 4 cpu cores and be cpu-hungry (new destruction 2.0 features - I think)
- It will have dedicated servers (for PC and maybe Xbox)
- It will support 16 vs. 16 max
- If you preorder online you are supposed to get in on the "beta" earlier, starting on January 28th
- If you don't preorder, keys should start appearing all over the web a week later
- Steam should announce a package to preorder very soon
- Steam and EA are working on a "Squad pack" so you can buy 4 copies like L4D
- A great majority who have played the PS3 beta generally state that this will have better gameplay and perhaps graphics/sound
- It will be much more action based than BF2 or BF3... a competitor to MW2, but still on a larger scale
- BF 1943 was put on hold (the PC version) to finish BC2 on time
- You can spawn on any of your 3 squad mates
- There will be measures to stop "spawn camping"
- Will be out on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well, similar beta/demo on Xbox 360 soon
- The PC demo/beta will be on a winter (snow) map and there is a rumor that the fist flying vehicle will be tested (a Blackhawk with dual side mounted mini-guns)
- There will be Conquest, Rush (objective bombing), 4v4v4v4 Squad Deathmatch, and a hardcore mode.
- Rated M for mature - from my experience in playing the PS3 beta this is not for kids (blood splatter, swearing). It did give it a more realistic feel, I have to admit.

I will add more info when I get the chance. I will also post when I see/order the Steam version, hopefully very soon.

Last edited:
Wonder how the no spawn camping thing would work out, it's going to suck if they go back to invincibility for x seconds after spawning. A little disappointed about the 16v16 player max, one of my favorite parts of BF2 was a 32v32 match on wake island. Like the destructive environment though, graphics will always be low on my list but I'll buy a game just to blow s**t up.

OP
SunTzu69

SunTzu69

Yes, the dedicated server providers will be somewhat limited (but still dedicated). I understand the maps will be somewhat smaller than BF2, and they play better (according to DICE/EA) with 16v16. Console will have 12v12.

We shouldn't expect BF3 as it is a separate project. However, I think we may see a nice mix of BF2 and MW2 here, with a nice mix of action/strategy and some great squad play. I thought I read there will be x seconds immunity on spawn, but also some sort of restricted area for the "home base". Maybe it will give you some sort of timer to get out, like COD4 and BF2 when you went off map.

Sydney

- It will not be a mere console port Thank god
- It will make use of DX11 I don't have a DX11 card, but yay for those who have I guess
- There have been suggestions it may use 4 cpu cores and be cpu-hungry (new destruction 2.0 features - I think) Excellent
- It will have dedicated servers (for PC and maybe Xbox) I expected no less
- It will support 16 vs. 16 max Lame, should be 32vs32. Well, really depends on map size
- If you preorder online you are supposed to get in on the "beta" earlier, starting on January 28th Too bad us Icelanders can't preorder anywhere
- If you don't preorder, keys should start appearing all over the web a week later
- Steam should announce a package to preorder very soon I want a retail copy
- Steam and EA are working on a "Squad pack" so you can buy 4 copies like L4D See above
- A great majority who have played the PS3 beta generally state that this will have better gameplay and perhaps graphics/sound I expected no less
- It will be much more action based than BF2 or BF3... a competitor to MW2, but still on a larger scale Bad, very bad
- BF 1943 was put on hold (the PC version) to finish BC2 on time Good, since 1943 is essentially a console port
- You can spawn on any of your 3 squad mates Stupid
- There will be measures to stop "spawn camping" Fair enough
- Will be out on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well, similar beta/demo on Xbox 360 soon Meh
- The PC demo/beta will be on a winter (snow) map and there is a rumor that the fist flying vehicle will be tested (a Blackhawk with dual side mounted mini-guns) Oh god I hope it will be as fun as it was in BF2 before they ruined the blackhawks
- There will be Conquest, Rush (objective bombing), 4v4v4v4 Squad Deathmatch, and a hardcore mode. More game modes are always a plus
- Rated M for mature - from my experience in playing the PS3 beta this is not for kids (blood splatter, swearing). It did give it a more realistic feel, I have to admit. Good, I'm tired of grey puffs when I shoot someone.

Meh, I'll have to play it before I can judge it properly.

Root5098

Definetly looking forward to this, thanks for the topic, I'll be getting the demo as soon as it's released :D

OP
SunTzu69

SunTzu69

Definitely agree on the grey puffs. I really think this game isn't meant for everyone to look at (including some adults), but there will be something about seeing your mate go down in a cloud of blood beside you when he peaks over to see if the .50 cal Humvee is still camping around. It will look and feel like Saving Private Ryan... which isn't a bad thing.. :)

I understand there is another thread on BC2. This is for the details on how to get in on the demo in a few weeks. I will post as much info as I can in here to help you guys get in on it. Least I can do for this great community that has helped me so many times :)

RoC1909

This is great news. I enjoyed BC (outside of a few issues I have with the gameplay) but overall, I thought it was a very solid game and am really looking forward to what BC2 will bring to the table.

Hardin

Is this Battlefield 3? If it isn't then what's the difference between this and Battlefield 3?

UnrealAlex

Sweet. Who's in for the 4 pack? Lets get our groups ready and save some money like we did with Borderlands.

Hardin, this is not battlefield 3. Battlefield 3 is not gona come out for long time, not much info on it yet.

Rich'[ard]

looks more promising than COD MW2 at least. but the 16v16 is the only big drawback i can see...everything else is fine for me. i'm not complaining :p

seeing as i just updated my monthly download quota...demo here i come.

OP
SunTzu69

SunTzu69

Is this Battlefield 3? If it isn't then what's the difference between this and Battlefield 3?

BF3 will be a separate title. BC2 is a middle-ground between action shooters like Quake/COD4/MW2, and BF2. Just imagine you had maps four times as big as Modern Warfare 2, but half the size of Battlefield 2.

The pace will be faster. There are still flying vehicles and an element of strategy that in my opinion is almost absent in Modern Warfare 2. Everytime I try to meet up with my friends and get some tactics going, 1-2 of us die before we get to a particular location and there seems to be no teamwork involved.

I'm hoping BC2 will have quite a bit of strategy/tactics, and I don't mind trying out something that has a faster pace than BF2. I love the big Battlefield, but I can't say I wouldn't enjoy a smaller scale action packed title for a change.

MW2 is much too fast for me. It's just run and gun solo-style.

Sydney

BF3 will be a separate title. BC2 is a middle-ground between action shooters like Quake/COD4/MW2, and BF2. Just imagine you had maps four times as big as Modern Warfare 2, but half the size of Battlefield 2.

The pace will be faster. There are still flying vehicles and an element of strategy that in my opinion is almost absent in Modern Warfare 2. Everytime I try to meet up with my friends and get some tactics going, 1-2 of us die before we get to a particular location and there seems to be no teamwork involved.

I'm hoping BC2 will have quite a bit of strategy/tactics, and I don't mind trying out something that has a faster pace than BF2. I love the big Battlefield, but I can't say I wouldn't enjoy a smaller scale action packed title for a change.

MW2 is much too fast for me. It's just run and gun solo-style.
For strategy Project Reality for BF2 is made of win.

Status
Not open for further replies.