• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cypher

Today I tried to install my two Maxtor 40 gig ata 133s in an ASUS A7N8X using WIN XP PRO, was notibly slower than when on my old ASUS A7V8X, but worked the first time untill SP-1 was installed. Than when rebooting had several missing files. Tried to reinstall but now when formatting in NTFS it will get to 100% and stay there for about 10 minutes untill I get an error message saying unable to format. And if I chose the quick format it will never get beyond 20%. Also I have tried taking both drives out and formatted them seperatly in FAT 32 with no porblems. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

OP
cypher

cypher

finally got the maxtor utility to work with one drive and recertified it. The other still shows the correct size and will format using Powerquest or fdisk but no model information. So time for some new WD 8mb catch for my A7N8X.