• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad fans RTX 3080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Well, I have bad news, the last 2 RTX 3080 cards I got have bad fans, the Precision X1 showed 0rpm on fan 1 on 1st card and 0rpm on fan 2 on 2nd card, opened the case and on 2nd card 2 fans was not turning, I got them spinning but they were stiff at 1st. card #1 has 2 fans running but 1 stiff and will not spin up.
I'm going to give EVGA a call or email and see what they can do for me. This explains why the PC would lockup every other day.

Both Fan 1 and Fan 2 should be over 3000+rpm as you can see not the case.
RTX30801fan.jpg

Last edited:
when i had a dead fan on my 3070ti recently (last month i think?) they wouldnt send me a fan to install they had me RMA the whole card.
be prepared for that.

aside from shipping it to them it was covered but still

I got to thinking, EVGA is not making any more of this model, Amazon and Newegg do to have it, it is on fleabay....oooops I mean ebay but I'm not going to buy another card just to fix a fan. So I found just the fans on ebay and ordered 4 and I'm going to fix these cards my self.

RTX 30x0 fan
Post magically merged:

when i had a dead fan on my 3070ti recently (last month i think?) they wouldnt send me a fan to install they had me RMA the whole card.
be prepared for that.

aside from shipping it to them it was covered but still
Was your card a EVGA card? If so, the fans I just ordered from ebay would have worked on it.

Last edited:
Any idea what is causing them to die? Are you running them at full speed?
They are not dead as such, they came this way so I think they need a bit of oil, if there is a dead fan I'll have 1 to go in and be back up and running. And yes I run them at full speed but never had 1 slow down this soon on a new card.

I got to thinking, EVGA is not making any more of this model, Amazon and Newegg do to have it, it is on fleabay....oooops I mean ebay but I'm not going to buy another card just to fix a fan. So I found just the fans on ebay and ordered 4 and I'm going to fix these cards my self.

RTX 30x0 fan
Post magically merged:

Was your card a EVGA card? If so, the fans I just ordered from ebay would have worked on it.

yep mine was a evga 3070 ti XC3 Ultra

i RMAd it after they said they were going to stop producing cards, i remember the GN video about EVGA pulling out mentioned something about having a stockpile for warranty and service cards.
i did some research when mine went ded and there was some mention of a possible card problem with the 3rd fan on my card so maybe thats why?

You guys have me paranoid about my fans now lol. They have been spinningfor 2 years and just started using the 0RPM feature the other day. Dammit Evga.

Dammit EVGA or damn the guy in the mirror for not using the feature and running the fans constantly? :p

i remember the GN video about EVGA pulling out mentioned something about having a stockpile for warranty and service cards.
Correct. When EVGA announced, they said there was plenty of stock for RMAs.

@WhitehawkEQ - Did you call/email evga to see what they could do for you? Looks like that was the thought in the first post, but then you bought on ebay? Was the card under warranty???

Dammit EVGA or damn the guy in the mirror for not using the feature and running the fans constantly? :p
:D

My fans are still ok, I was just being paranoid :D

I still fold often, that's why the fans run.

But I have some fans at the bottom of the case doing the breathing for now :)

Correct. When EVGA announced, they said there was plenty of stock for RMAs.

@WhitehawkEQ - Did you call/email evga to see what they could do for you? Looks like that was the thought in the first post, but then you bought on ebay? Was the card under warranty???
Well, it's too late the fans are on the way, I just was not sure if EVGA was going to have any for RMA's.

Well, it's too late the fans are on the way, I just was not sure if EVGA was going to have any for RMA's.
It's too late for you, perhaps, but not for those who are having problems and run across this thread. ;)

It would have been awesome to hear what EVGA would have done, and under warranty(?)...

I am nervous to have to warranty my card with them. I haven't had a problem with my EVGA cards, oldest being a 980 Classified. Its fans run all the time and has been running 24/7 since I got it in 2017. And looking back, I don't recall ever having a problem with EVGA. I sent an XFX and an Asus back once, but generally no problems with GPUs that I didn't cause.

I am nervous to have to warranty my card with them.
I wouldn't be... :shrug:

Again, they said they have stock. It's only been a month or two since they announced it. The earlier the better I'd guess, but they'll take care of you regardless. Have faith...! Don't let people's anecdotes/rants the whole story. :)

EVGA has always had a reputation for solid customer support, I'm sure they'd do right by you. But like Whitehawk if it was not too expensive I would probably opt to order new fans vs sending the cards in if I were in his shoes.

I wouldn't be... :shrug:

Again, they said they have stock. It's only been a month or two since they announced it. The earlier the better I'd guess, but they'll take care of you regardless. Have faith...! Don't let people's anecdotes/rants the whole story. :)
Well I guess if they can build it they can fix it :D

Thanks

they are going to need stock or repair boards for a few years until warranties start expiring.

i have 754 days left on my 3070 Ti warranty with them. this was the first time i had to RMA a card but i hope if something happens to this one again they can fix and/or replace it
oh no only 91 left on my 1660 Super!!!

I won't get the fans till about Jan 20, so 1 folding slot on pause while the other card folds at full power. I have decided to change out all the fans on both cards when I get the fans just to be safe then check each fan I take out of the cards then add a drop of oil to each.

I got the new fans for my RTX 3080 in, here is a pic. It may be hard to see, but the connectors on the fans are left: black, middle: brown and right: blue<-that 1 is easy :)

DSCN0831_.JPG

Last edited:
Back