• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad *** hsf setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

I just got my order for a Coolmaster (socket A) HAC-V81 hsf that is adjustable from like 2500rpms to 4800rpms with a max of 63 cfm's and this is the ****zle!!!! Not joke!!! It droped my temps 10 to 16 degrees. Just wanted to let everyone know....
AL

irish80122

True, but I am not sure if it will fit on my motherboard since there are a lot of caps surrounding the chip. Makes perfect sense doesn't it? The board is a MSI K7N2G-ILSR, any idea on if one would fit. It also doesn't have mounting holes, ugh!!!

james.miller

should do - the slk-800 has a very thin base that sweaps outwards towards the top - the base is actually thinner than the x-dream. i dont know if there's a mobo that it doesnt fit on (except mabey some dually boards).

irish80122

Hmmm, I will definately look into it. I just got a tornado so it would be a good addition, especially since it is one that won't create more noise!

irish80122

Gracias, I will look up the specs on the HS I have now, which is a Tt Volcano 7. I have that and a Tornado fan because while I was online one day, the CPU fan just stopped?!? It really has never worked since, so I had to get the new fan (thank God I was here). How much better is the 800 over the Volcano 7? I know it is probably a great deal better.

james.miller

a hell of a lot. infact i have a v7 myself. it ran 41c idle, 49c load on my palamino xp1800. my slk-800 ran 27c idle, 34c load on the same cpu (at 1725mhz)

irish80122

Dang, yea it is probably about time to make a move, especially since I am trying to get rid of anything Tt right now! That fan just stopping really spooked me, it was less than a year old too! I will start looking through the classifieds, and if not there online. Thanks!

irish80122

james.miller said:
the original fan on my v7 actually blew up. scared the crap out of me when i saw the bright flash and the pc shut off lol

Holy s**t!!! That is not a good thing. I actually did contact Tt about getting a replacement fan, but then I asked myself what the hell I was going, since it had just stopped on me, but that is even worse! Did you get a new Tt fan, or did you do what I did and decided it was time to move on?

james.miller

well after that i just put a regular case fan on my heatsink. it was about 2 months after that i brought my slk-800. i havent looked back since

irish80122

I don't blame you. One thing my dad got me thinking about though the other day is why are temps so important. I mean, right now I am at about 40-45 degrees load, and I know that will reduce the life of my processor, but other than that, why are temps important to keep down? Just curious, thanks!

james.miller

they arnt. temps are really only inportant once you start to seriously overclock. if your not into that - 45c full load is fine as long as its stable.

edit:

<------ contributing member now:)

irish80122

james.miller said:
they arnt. temps are really only inportant once you start to seriously overclock. if your not into that - 45c full load is fine as long as its stable.

edit:

<------ contributing member now:)

Congrats on the contributing member!!! I am starting to get more into OCing, how much of a difference does it make there. As you can see from my sig, I have done a bit, but not all that much. I am waiting for my Sparkle power supply to get in before I can do much more because I have a no-name in there right now. Also, one question I asked on another forum but I would love to get your opinion on is how important are the clips for Corsair 3200 sticks? I took them off when I installed them and now am wondering if I made a mistake.

james.miller

as you overclock higher and increase voltages and such, thats where the bigger heatsinks really show their muscle - the difference in temps between those and the rest of the heatsinks increase at higher cpu speeds.

as for the clips - should be fine if the ram's h/s is stuck on well

irish80122

james.miller said:

as you overclock higher and increase voltages and such, thats where the bigger heatsinks really show their muscle - the difference in temps between those and the rest of the heatsinks increase at higher cpu speeds.

as for the clips - should be fine if the ram's h/s is stuck on well

Cool cool, I think that's all of the questions I have for now, thank you so much!