• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad mobo? Need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

Okay I just got a K7S5A today due to the fact that my previous motherboard crapped out (wasnt able to boot at all and prior to that I had spontaneous resets and i had to clock my chip down just to be able to boot.) Anyway, I installed everything in, hooked up the power and started her up. It turned on, I saw the BIOS screen for about 2 seconds then it "shut down" (LEDs were still on and the HSF was still spinning but all I had was a black screen). My first reaction was that I burned my cpu or something drastic like that, so i took off my heatsink to check it out and it was okay, so I carefully reattached the HSF. I made sure everything was connected properly. Anybody have any ideas?? Oh, btw I have a 1.33 GhZ t-bird but when the BIOS screen was up for its whole 2 seconds it showed that my chip was a 1000MhZ!!! IM STUMPED, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

litghost

first the reason why it said the chip was 1000 was bc that it defaults to 100mhz fsb on first boot. now i dont have much xp with ecs boards, but
1. do you have the fan montior cable for the fan plugged in

2. is it one of those boards with the emergancy heat cut off things, if so oh well

predjo

Registered
First check your power supply becouse k7s5a need good one. Next unplugged everything except video card and memory and check. I had that problem few times but after i change PS everything work.

palee72

I had that problem with mine the first time I fired it up (same chip and all.. was building it for a friend)

It worked great, as long as nothing was in the PCI slots... As soon as I put in a modem or sound card... It would crap out and not even post..

I stashed the board (because the return policy had run out on it) and figured I would use it for something stupid...

I broke it out about 3 months ago and put my current chip in it, plus PCI sound card and it fired right over.. no problems...

I don't remember if the fan on my first processor had the MB header on it or not. But I also believe what they say about needing a good power supply. I read that these things are power hungry hogs....

Anywho... mind is running fine for what I do, using pc-133 ram in it at the moment..

Not a bad board.. no frills and its a pretty red...

OP
Speed_Freak

Speed_Freak

I dont think the chip got too hot. I have a swiftech HSF and I doubt that a 350W PSU is not enough to power the damn thing. I tried what you said and took out all the PCI cards...still I got nothing. These motherboards freakin suck. I took that piece of $#!+ back today. Screw ECS, im stickin to ASUS.

Akumu X

Just to let you know, the KS75A needs a PSU that can crank out 28Amps on the 3.3v rail. The watts doesn't matter, it needs those amps. My friend got the mobo with a PSU that puts out 24Amps and he gets the occasional black screen when cold booting.

Just thought I'd let you know...

OP
Speed_Freak

Speed_Freak

hmmm i'll have to check my PSU specs...that could very well be it. I started having problems towards the end of the 'life' of my last mobo. It wasn't with cold booting though...only when i went to reset it...well sometimes when i would cold boot i would have to leave it off for a good hour...any ideas?

james.miller

Akumu X said:
Just to let you know, the KS75A needs a PSU that can crank out 28Amps on the 3.3v rail. The watts doesn't matter, it needs those amps. My friend got the mobo with a PSU that puts out 24Amps and he gets the occasional black screen when cold booting.

Just thought I'd let you know...

where the heck did you get that from?

my psu specs:

Techwill 350watt
+3.3v - 15a
+5v - 25a
+12v - 12a

and the result - been ruuning without any problems AT ALL 8 months on from when the pc was first built.

28a on the 3.3v??? thats rediculous. even 28a on the 5v rail is too high

Akumu X

where the heck did you get that from?
I got it from their own website dude...I don't just make numbers up in my head and spew them out to people w/o knowing what I'm talking about. Here's a link that has HUNDREDS of people complaining (notice how lots ***** about their PSU and some say they got a new PSU with 28a on the 3.3 line)

CLICK CLICK

As for you, you're one of the lucky ones that hasn't been having problems with his K7S5A. Go take a look at the buyer reviews from it on Newegg. It's FULL of people cussing the board and then buying a bigger power supply and having NO more problems with it.

However, my friend told me today he bought a 450w PSU with 28A on the 3.3rail and it STILL does the same thing that the guy in the first post described. Anyone got any suggestions? :eh?:

james.miller

Akumu X said:
I got it from their own website dude...I don't just make numbers up in my head and spew them out to people w/o knowing what I'm talking about. Here's a link that has HUNDREDS of people complaining (notice how lots ***** about their PSU and some say they got a new PSU with 28a on the 3.3 line)
ok, calm down. I never said you made that up, think about that before posting again.
As for you, you're one of the lucky ones that hasn't been having problems with his K7S5A. Go take a look at the buyer reviews from it on Newegg. It's FULL of people cussing the board and then buying a bigger power supply and having NO more problems with it.
im not the only "lucky person" you konw. there are plenty of people using these boards with 350watters and below.
However, my friend told me today he bought a 450w PSU with 28A on the 3.3rail and it STILL does the same thing that the guy in the first post described. Anyone got any suggestions? :eh?: [/B]

bad board. there is no way that these boards need 28a on the 3.3v rail.
i mean, come on, im running on half that with an athlonxp @1640mhz. lucky??? thats downright super-natural according to those fugures.
I dont buy it.
there are poeple who get bad boards. its well known. just like the msi-kt3 ultra's. some good, some bad.
i brought a kt3-ultra and when it didnt work all i got was "you need a bigger psu bro"

complete rubbish.

The psu im using now has powered an athlon on an epox mobo to well over 1.8ghz. I said back then, that its not the psu, which somebody else then proved when the brought a 500watt+ antec, and STILL had exactly the same problems as i did.

its the board, but the thing is, would a manufacturer admit that their motherboards are not stable? that they are not built to a certain standard? or that it really is the luck of the draw?

no, to all three.

Akumu X

ok, calm down. I never said you made that up, think about that before posting again.

I WAS calm. Perhaps my tone came off as upset, but maybe you should figure that into the eqation that I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what's wrong with Joe's K7S5A while my other friend is skipping along with the SAME board not having a single problem like you are.

im not the only "lucky person" you konw. there are plenty of people using these boards with 350watters and below.

I'm not sure but I think I said 'One of the lucky ones' you couldn't tell that I was at being at least somewhat sarcastic? You think I think ECS ships out 10 boards and 9 of them are dead? No, you just assume. Don't. It was sarcasm.

bad board. there is no way that these boards need 28a on the 3.3v rail.
i mean, come on, im running on half that with an athlonxp @1640mhz. lucky??? thats downright super-natural according to those fugures.
I dont buy it.
there are poeple who get bad boards. its well known. just like the msi-kt3 ultra's. some good, some bad.
i brought a kt3-ultra and when it didnt work all i got was "you need a bigger psu bro"

complete rubbish.

The psu im using now has powered an athlon on an epox mobo to well over 1.8ghz. I said back then, that its not the psu, which somebody else then proved when the brought a 500watt+ antec, and STILL had exactly the same problems as i did.

its the board, but the thing is, would a manufacturer admit that their motherboards are not stable? that they are not built to a certain standard? or that it really is the luck of the draw?

no, to all three.

I'm quite aware of this now that Joe got a 450PSU with 28A on the 3.3 and it STILL does the same thing wrong. I had a HUGE suspicion that it was the case, but I gave ECS the benefit of the doubt. It says in the knowledge base they 'highly recommend' 28A on the 3.3. This is not ME making this up. Check newegg, their forums, the web you'll find hundreds of people echoing me. They echo me because they got in their head the same info as Joe and I did. So...we were wrong, as was ECS, life goes on. (with a different motherboard)

james.miller

i dont blame you for that.

though there are plenty of people with good boards, there are bad one as well. But, of course you are going to hear more about a bad board than vice-versa.

as of right now, i dont know any motherboard that needs 28a on the 3.3v rail at all.
Oh and i know you didnt make that up - I think ECS posible made that up to try and take the blame away from themself's, but i'm not sure

you wasnt wrong - you did what you could with the info - you wasn't to know that the info was completely false. ECS im sure is to blame,though why the would do that - i just dont know

rustymaitland

this same thing happened to me while trying to boot this ecs board. i have a 1ghz duron on the board. i booted and it booted fine. if the default speed is already set to 100mhz why won't it boot again. like no video at all. just a black screen. the power supply provides power to the board cause my cpu fan spins. no posting whatsover. i am just about to switch out the cpu and try my power supply (enermax) from my system. i am trying to get this one together for my parents.

gazzrawly

it is most definitly ur PSU btw i had same prob and thought ecs sucked big time but i got a decent 400watts PSU and everythin has been fine...appart from CPU overheating problems