• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad OC on MSI Armor 1070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuggleLover

Registered
I have a MSI armor 1070 can only get 80 core and 180 memory Overclock out of it with MSI [email protected]% fan speed and 108 Power Limit. Temps at 100% are around 57-59C. Pushing it any more will make my driver fail but I'm not seeing any artifacts.
Anyone one else have this card and can tell me what they got?

Last edited:

Quattro

Leave the core at stock speed and try and push your memory up higher, does it increase?
Then try the opposite leave the memory speed at stock and just focus on the core clock speed.

Your temps are fine, you can increase the voltage a bit through MSI Afterburner, you need to enable it in the settings.
From what I know about the 1070 (not a great deal) you should be able to get 500mhz OC on the memory and maybe 150mhz up to maximum of 200mhz on the core, over 200mhz OC on the core doesn't seem stable especially with memory overclock.

Try and find the maximum of the core and memory independently.
Keep the thread updated, I'm interested to see how it goes with your 1070!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I dont think you can adjust volatage much. For example, in the review, i increased the voltage all the way, and it raised less than .03V net. Now, im sure that will get you something.. but... nkt much.

Typical overclocks have these boosting to arou d 2100mhz. The memory though shluld overclock well.

OP
M

MuggleLover

Registered
Just download MSI afterburner beta with voltage and power limit maxed. Just with core no memory Overclock I can only get +80 on the core. Let me just try with the memory and see what I can get now that I can increase the voltage.

I can get +80 core +325 on the memory with voltage and power limit maxed or I can get +80core +180 memory with no voltage increase.

Last edited:

Quattro

The temperatures are still fine I presume?
What power supply are you using?

It's possible you just got unlucky with overclockability of the card.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Just download MSI afterburner beta with voltage and power limit maxed. Just with core no memory Overclock I can only get +80 on the core. Let me just try with the memory and see what I can get now that I can increase the voltage.

I can get +80 core +325 on the memory with voltage and power limit maxed or I can get +80core +180 memory with no voltage increase.
Your memory isn't affected by core voltage. Does that card have the option to raise the memory voltage?

OP
M

MuggleLover

Registered
I'm really new to MSI after burner but I do not see anything to raise memory voltage. I do not understand understand why when I raise the core voltage I can bump my memory up more ether. No matter what I do I can not go over +80 core. There is a option in MSI to force constant Voltage do you think that will help or would it hurt my card?

Temps are not even going over 45C before my driver restarts.
Generic 800w bronze PSU Rosewill.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Though it's likely not your problem, what specific Rosewill is it? It wasn't until recently they started to produce a decent PSU. Prior to that, they were all junk.

Unless these cards are different... memory voltage and gpu core voltage were not the same. Typically you cannot adjust memory voltage anyway.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
If I'm right then specification of used memory is exactly the same in all GTX1070 and I wouldn't be surprised if all were using the same brand of IC ( at least for now ). Stock voltage supposed to be the same so I would check drivers and software if you have issues with overclocking. At the end limiting factor can be current BIOS version but I doubt it's more locked than reference one.
MSI Armor already has ~100MHz higher core clock than reference cards so +80MHz will give you about as much as other cards can make = ~1820MHz low 3D + maybe 200-270MHz boost what at the end will gives ~2050-2100MHz. Many of these cards can cause driver crash above ~2050MHz. To check max boost you can use GPU-Z and run monitoring while playing a game. Afterburner should also show it.