• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad PSU?... Please read I need help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowrider

Registered
I am haveing a problem when turning on my computer. i am runnging a Athlon 700 classic with a PcChips m800 MB, Ati rage II pci video, and a 3Com pci modem. When I have the computer installed in a case, any case, it will power on but i don't get any sound or video. after removeing everything from the case and setting it on my desk all works fine. The first thing i thought of is that my MB was grounding on the case so i installed the MB on the tray (not in the computer) and it still works just fine. as soon as i put it back in the case, nothing. :mad:

Looks like something is shorting out the case - my PC shut down once when a bare wire touched the side of the case. Make sure the wires etc are all insulated and not touching the case.

i was also thinking that there may be a bare wire but i have inspected every wire and replaced every wire that can be changed and i still have the prob.:(

When you install the mobo into the case there will be screws to secure AGP and PCI cards onto the case. Take these screws out eg:

I have removed the screws from all my cards reseated them, reseated my ram, reseated my cpu, and it still will not work in the case.

lowrider said:
I have removed the screws from all my cards reseated them, reseated my ram, reseated my cpu, and it still will not work in the case.

Do you get any beep codes at all?

Get yourself some nylon or plastic washers and put one under the mobo at each point that you put a screw. It appears that the mobo is grounding and washers of the plastic/nylon/ceramic variety should prevent this. BTW it is recommended that these be used even though I and many others don't. If you think about it, the mobo is working outside of the case because it can't groun to the psu. Inside the case it can through one of the screw mounts.

No i do not get any beep codes.

I also was thinking of the psu not grounding to the MB so i set the psu on the MB tray and it still works. I have hade washers on my MB screws ever since i got the MB.

Sorry for the poor pic quality but it is the best my web cam would do.

logic then says that it is one of the paripherals then. Try the same test with each peripheral touching the tray and do them one at a time (looking for the guilty party).

ok after testing all paripherals i still have the same problem. what i did to test them is to place a jummper wire on the end of the card where it screws into the case and onto the mother board tray that my psu is still sitting on.

I am begining to think that the compony placed a mercrey switch on the board so it only works when laying down!!!:D

umm check to see if ur mobo is getting grounded in the case i bet thats the problem if not check the button u use to turn on the comp it might be loose or something

Problem fixed!!!!!!

after trying many things and many hours i finally found the prob, my hs!!! it is too heavy and when i install the mb in the case it pulls the cpu out of the socket a little. after changeing the retainers to some tighter ones the problem has vanished.

Thanks to all who helped

Back