• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad sound on a nf7-s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xstatic

I have the NF7-S rev 2.0 and my sound is rather bad. Clicks and sounds breaking off to early is very very common. Actually its all i hear. I never hear it correctly. And in some games the sounds of shootinig is muffled as if it were far away or like i have on 3 sets of ear muffs. its not my speakers as i have Klipsch speakers. You cant buy better speakers. They work perfect on a audigy 2 card. But here on this computer useing the onboard sound its bad. Music sounds the same way. I dont know if any of you use Gamespy Arcade but the sounds in there have the same effect. clicks and breaks is the only way i know how to describe it. I installed the drivers from the cd. So i dont know what the problem is. Damaged board? Or is this common?

Sorry for the typos and bad grammer. Im very tired and frustrated that I typed this as fast as possible.

CrashOveride

You might try touching your southbridge to see if its pretty hot or not, if it is you could put a HS on it with some Arctic Silver/Alumina Adhesive. It could also be having your sound on the computer turned up too much try turning down the wave volume thing in the Nvidia sound panel thingy, when I start getting the little lights that move (green yellow and red you know they move with the music) up in the upper yellows I can hear distortion and it's relly bad... I would guess that it's the heat though unless you just got a faulty motherboard... You might also try updating your drivers but I doubt that would be your problem.

Net-trix

Registered
The cracking and popping xome people experience with the NF7 is usually fixed by cooling the southbridge. If you ever touch this chip after a long gaming or Prime session...you will be burned (not badly..but it is impressive :p ) Anway...I recommend getting a Zalman passive NB heatsink (the golden looking one) and sticking the sucker onto the SB. The popping should go away. You may want to try having a case fan blow in that region (never tried this..but should work)...I guess you will have to be creative on how to setup the fan...

Good luck!

CrashOveride

Net-trix said:
The cracking and popping xome people experience with the NF7 is usually fixed by cooling the southbridge. If you ever touch this chip after a long gaming or Prime session...you will be burned (not badly..but it is impressive :p ) Anway...I recommend getting a Zalman passive NB heatsink (the golden looking one) and sticking the sucker onto the SB. The popping should go away. You may want to try having a case fan blow in that region (never tried this..but should work)...I guess you will have to be creative on how to setup the fan...

Good luck!

Maybe even just listening to music...
I don't know that that huge zalman HS is necissary, I used the HS that came on my NB and just no fan... Perhaps an old P1 hs without a fan would work as well.

Net-trix

Registered
True....Zalman is not necessary...but...neither is half the stuff we stick to our boards :p O.k...the cheapest and strangest..yet effective method of sooling the SB that I have ever seen...is taking off the metal shutter on a 3.5 floppy...and using that with some thermal tape or adhesive to the SB.

Whatever you chose...the main theme is cool the SB!

:D

caRpetbomBer

If its not the southbridge problem then it should be fixed with a newer Nforce 2 driver which helped me. The driver that fixed my problems were the 3.14a Remix and all i did was install over the 2.45
Not one sound problem ever since.

Net-trix

Registered
I guess trying later drivers is a logical first step. I never experienced popping, but i have felt the Sb after a long gaming session...OUCH:mad: That was enough for me to glue a Zalman right on there!