• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad statistics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusgizmo

Disabled
http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3288641 said:
Other industry sources also note a rise in Linux attacks. At Zone-H.org, an Internet security site that tracks Web site defacements, the Linux OS platform accounted for 77 percent of the attacks reported, compared to 10.7 percent on Windows servers, Thursday afternoon.

I don't know, but somehow iI just dont believe this. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that these statistics are incorrect? Or maybe the "attacks reported" has something to do with this. I somehow dont believe that Linux is less secure than Windows in any way.

Titan386

Firstly, according to that article, the breakins in question were caused by passwords that fell into the wrong hands, not weaknesses in the software itself.

In regards to the web site defacement stats, those numbers don't take into account the relative amounts of Linux servers as compared to Windows servers. If they did, I bet the numbers would look quite different.

Furthermore, consider a base Red Hat (or similar distro) install. It probably has quite a few services running, some which its admin might not even know about, if the admin is a beginner. Any one of those daemons is a potential security issue, and if they aren't updated regularly, its even worse.

Looking here, one sees that more than half of the recorded breakins were caused by either an unpatched system or an admin error. That's how Linux can be less secure than Windows: when the admin isn't fully aware of his / her responsiblities and doesn't know how to protect the system against what is out there. In those cases, can you really blame the software when the system is cracked?

injinj

Yeah, the zone-h stats are skewed. It seems to me that the defacers are reporting the stats, not admins. Reporting that you hacked a windows box might get you laughed at :)

OP
G

gusgizmo

Disabled
Yeah, the zone-h stats are skewed. It seems to me that the defacers are reporting the stats, not admins. Reporting that you hacked a windows box might get you laughed at

thats what i figured. i kinda thought that there was something wrong there. and to Titan386, i was commenting on the reporting of inflammatory things like this more than the insecurity of any OS. i am becoming a supporter of linux, and am working towards moving all my boxes to 100% linux goodness.