• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballistix Tracer mod (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jason4207

Check out the custom cool dark blue inserts I just received for my Crucial Ballistix Tracers. I had them custom cut from a sample from an acrylic distributor online [30.9mm x 5.2mm x 2.0mm]. I have a blue LED and UV reactive blue theme going right now in my case. The Tracers are cool b/c they have blue LEDs on their base which goes well w/ everything else, but they also have these bright red & green flashing LEDs that just over power the rest of the case. I had the idea to put some dark clear blue acrylic in the opening in the RAM HS to dim the lights and turn them into light and dark blue lights. Well, the lights didn't change color, but they have been dimmed enough to make them fit in much better w/ the rest of my case theme. They no longer over power the rest of my system lighting, and I'm really liking the results!

I measured the opening w/ just a simple tape measure that happened to have mm. I had to estimate the tenths, but it worked out perfect. They snap right in there w/o any wiggle. Also, b/c they have internal refraction qualities it appears like I have twice as many (not nearly as bright) lights.

I ended up paying ~$28 shipped ($6.50 for the sample + $15 for the cuts + S/H) for these, but if a bunch of guys got together they could order 100's of these for a lot less money.

Here's some pics:

p2120105ed3.jpg

p2120106iv6.jpg

p2120108dc0.jpg

p2120110ii4.jpg

Before [AARRRRRRRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!]
gtsnightshotrq2.jpg

After! [AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!]
p2120094fh8.jpg

i like it!

will it drown out the UV underneath? i dont want it to bleach my slots :)

edit: looks like no, from looking at the pics again?

So the acrylic is placed over the blinking LEDs on the top of the RAM?

Yes. But the cool part is that there is a gap there in the RAM HS such that the acrylic blocks slide right in there w/ a tight fit (thanks to my careful measurements). No need to glue anything, and you can pull them out using your fingernails and a bit of wiggling.

i like it!

will it drown out the UV underneath? i dont want it to bleach my slots :)

edit: looks like no, from looking at the pics again?

I don't think those are UV lights on the bottom of the RAM chips. UV lights look purple. I think those are just blue LEDs around the base of the RAM chips, and I don't think they'll bleach anything.

I do have UV lights in my case. You can see some purple light escaping near the bottom of the case. I have 1 UV light stick tucked behind that bottom lip of the case, and another tucked behind the metal runner further up inside the case. Previously I had the lights oriented differently, but I didn't like the way you could see the lights directly b/c they look purple, and kill the blue theme. This way they are hidden, but their light still hits all the UV-blue reactive stuff in my case and really makes it look nice.

there may be some UV in it and i think that cuases the bleached areas around the LED's.

when i get a minute i'll show ya what i'm talkin about

nicely done:D

looks alot better now send me 2 for my sticks hehe

i did sort of the same thing, but i just cut a piece of factory tintec plexi glass and just used a piece of black electricle tape on the top and bottom of the plastic.
i could not stand how bright they were, it was pointless for me to install all the uv stuff with those led's so bright :)

Back