• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bantam weight dj-pc set up amp help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beingblueeyes

Registered
Ok all I’m building a dj-pc set up that I can bring to party’s and what not or just rock in the house with. The case has 2 psu's, one for the computer and one to power a car amp to drive the sub(s). The psu that has the car amp duty is a 700 watt 52 amp on the 12v rails. From the searches I’ve done looking to what size amp people are running on computer psu's its pretty wild (I found one guy on youtube powering a 1000 watt amp with a 200 watt psu)

My question is:
Do I want to find an amp that’s less then 700 watts (around 600 watts) or can I run a higher wattage amp? (I have my eye on a 4000 watt beast)

i will post pic later of project

ratbuddy

Ok all I’m building a dj-pc set up that I can bring to party’s and what not or just rock in the house with. The case has 2 psu's, one for the computer and one to power a car amp to drive the sub(s). The psu that has the car amp duty is a 700 watt 52 amp on the 12v rails. From the searches I’ve done looking to what size amp people are running on computer psu's its pretty wild (I found one guy on youtube powering a 1000 watt amp with a 200 watt psu)

My question is:
Do I want to find an amp that’s less then 700 watts (around 600 watts) or can I run a higher wattage amp? (I have my eye on a 4000 watt beast)

i will post pic later of project

Well, a 4000 watt amp is going to be drawing 333 amps at 12 volts, and for an 85% efficient power supply to run the thing at full blast, it's going to be looking for about 40 amps from a 120v socket. Not gonna happen.

You'd be much better off with a laptop or rackmount computer and a rackmount amp like something from http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...ce=&srchCat=330&srchMfg=&srchPromo=&srchAttr=

edit: Oh yeah, you'd be looking at running 4/0 AWG cabling from the PSU (or from the car battery) to the "4000 watt" amp to avoid melting anything. I'd love to see a link to that amp :beer:

ratbuddy

good point on the amps needed to run a 4000 watt amp at 12 volts dc
here the link to the amp

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/LA2268/LEGACY_LA2268_4000_Watt_Bridgeable_MOSFET_Amplifier.html

Heh, here's the 'specs' on that amp, and I doubt if it can even reach the 'RMS' ratings:

Legacy LA2268 2 Channel Bridgeable MOSFET Amplifier Predator Series
Output Power: 2 x 300 Watts RMS @ 4Ohms
2 x 450 Watts RMS @ 2Ohms
2 x 2000 Watts Max. Output 1 x 4000 Watts Bridged

A "4000" watt amp that doesn't even double its output power from 4 ohms to 2 ohms? Right. That "4000" watt rating is if it was hit by lightning. A 50 amp computer PSU would be plenty to run that thing, not that you'd even want to. Go with a real amp on the page I linked above.

Randyman...

Agreed. I messed with using Inverters and stuff with Rockford Car amps when I was 15 (saved up and bought the amps before I even had the car to put them in!). Even a lowly Punch-150 (old school late 80's) would EASILY max out a 25-Amp dedicated bench supply (granted, @ 2 Ohms Bridged :) )!

I swapped to more appropriate 120VAC amps for home useage in the early 90's, and never looked back. Even the cheaper Behringer "Euro Power" amps would probably blow your current amp out of the water, and with a LOT less complexity, more reliability (even from Behringer), and more appropriate features. Next step would be QSC RMX series. Beyond that range, things can get expensive QUICK (Lab Gruppen, Crest, etc)!

:cool:

OP
beingblueeyes

beingblueeyes

Registered
Thanks for the advice guys and doing that research, I emailed the web site and that amp is running 2 40 amp fuses and with the rms of that, like you say I don’t think ill have a prob