• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 / NF7-S v2.0 - Need advice on cheap heatsink(w/ fan)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

west|

Registered
(wrong forum, pls delete) Barton 2500 - Need advice on cheap heatsink(w/ fan)

Just starting to get into oc'ing, and my stock heatsink can't handle much :p(I can do 3200 speeds, but it's at 66C while running prime95 :eek: ).

So far i've been looking at the following

THERMALTAKE EXTREME VOLCANO 12 SOCKETA COPPER 2000-5500RPM 26.5-72.9CFM 4PIN (41.05$ CAD)
VANTEC AEROFLOW SOCKETA CPU COOLER TMD 5600RPM 35.5CFM 38DBA ($27.09 CAD)
VANTEC AEROFLOW 2 SOCKETA CPU COOLER 4000RPM 34CFM 35DBA ($23.76 CAD)

I am open to other suggestions, but as long as it is <50$CAD and will fit on my NF7-S (rev 2.0)

Of course, I am also getting some AS5 and 2 case fans, but I am wondering which heatsink will work best for OC'ing my 2500 barton? I'd like to run 2.2ghz stable, at least.

I will be using NCIX for all of it, as I'm also getting a 80 GB WD ATA/100 drive.

edit: wrong forum? I prob should have put this in Overclocking > Cooling... anyone move it for me? :-/

Last edited:

[UCF]YellowDart

Registered
IMO, cheap is never the way to go with a HSF.
I mean, ur gona get great performance stuff with that Mobo and CPU. Why on earth would u cut back on the part that cools it off so it doesnt melt?

edit:

btw if you put that volcano 12 in ur case, u might as well put a gasoline engine too. very loud.

OP
W

west|

Registered
[UCF]YellowDart said:
IMO, cheap is never the way to go with a HSF.
I mean, ur gona get great performance stuff with that Mobo and CPU. Why on earth would u cut back on the part that cools it off so it doesnt melt?

edit:

btw if you put that volcano 12 in ur case, u might as well put a gasoline engine too. very loud.
budget. :-/

I will likely get a better heatsink, case, case fans, ram etc when I have the money.

edit: from a bit of googling, it says the stock amd fan is 36.5dba, is 48dba (volcano 12) really that much louder? (newb question i know).

Last edited:

ColtIce

Disabled
I have the venus 12 and it uses the same fan.yes it is a bit louder than the stock fan but no louder than a Smartfan 2 at full blast.A friend of mine(Balrog) here on the boards has the volcano 12 and he seems happy with it.his temps always seemed to be about the same as my slk800/smartfan2 combo.

Rilian

man check on Ebay though, I bought my SK-7 off ebay for $15, its been a hell of a sport and does way better than my SLK-700U, but I could NOT agree more with yellow dart... DO NOT skimp out on your heatsink... if I had bought an SLK-948U when I wouldnt want another heatsink right now...

Rilian

Btw if you do get Thermalright SK-7 buy the thermaltake smart case fan2, its probably the best 80mm fan you can get

baberpervez

I'm somewhat suprised at the performance of some of the XP 2500+'s out there. My board and CPU managed to performed 2.1 so your Barton's I would expect to at least overclock well to a 2.2 easily.

Before I decided to go for watercooling I too wanted to invest heavily in some hardcore air cooling solutions.

Thermaltake Smart Fan II w/ temp. sensor control (A1357) more info $18
Thermaltake GIANT III VGA Cooler (A1919) *90-day in-store warranty $48
Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 (A1745) more info $45

All in Canadian $$$$.

As you can calculate I was willing to dish out over $110 dollars to get the best of the best in air flow only to realize if I spend a mere 30 more I could simply get watercooling!!!

Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid Cooling System more info $139

So if you're in Canada and you seriously want to INVEST in cooling solutions (I say invest because despite what cpu/board you have now you could always apply it to your next CPU upgrade) why not just go for water instead?

It's the overclocking smart thing to do. :)
Plus it's very easy to setup.

www.canadacomputers.com (the cheapest prices around!)

OP
W

west|

Registered
I ended up going with a Vantec Aeroflow (5600 RPM 35.5CFM) for now, 44c idle about 52c 20 mins into prime95 at 1993mhz (181x11). Hopefully these temps get a bit lower once the AS5 gets "worked-in".

I will prob end up getting a better heatsink in about 6 months or so, after I upgrade my video card.

Last edited:

Rilian

man I wish I couldve persuaded ya in going the Thermaltake Smart case fan 2 route... up to 75cfm of airflow... cooling my desktop barton 225x10.5 <---runnin 35C idle 44C load