• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barton 2500 running uber hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

I just bought a Barton 2500+, and it's running at 58 degrees with the stock heatsink. WTF is going on?
:mad: :mad:

Should I reseat the sink? I have no thermal compound, only what's on there for now, I can buy some compound but I don't want to be out of commission that long. Is it safe to run until I find a better cooling solution?

Sir Barton

pummer said:
I just bought a Barton 2500+, and it's running at 58 degrees with the stock heatsink. WTF is going on?
:mad: :mad:

Should I reseat the sink? I have no thermal compound, only what's on there for now, I can buy some compound but I don't want to be out of commission that long. Is it safe to run until I find a better cooling solution?

i made the mistake of switching the overvolt jumper on my mobo when i first got my barton....i ran stock speed @ 2.08V/59 idle/67 load for a couple weeks while trying to figure out what the problem was. it should hold up as long as youre not doing anything CPU intensive...like playing some games or what not, but youll be fine if youre surfing and checking email. i first noticed the prob while playing RTCW and my comp kept restarting, then checking my super high voltage....and then it finally dawned on me to check the CPU overvolt jumper. thing you should check is to see if your HSF is seated properly, because if you dont have enough contact area between the die and the HSF your temps will increase significantly.

OP
pummer

pummer

I didn't change a thing except the FSB to 166 (that's the default, right) in the bios. All jumpers are correct, voltage is at 1.61-1.62...

OP
pummer

pummer

Yeah but why would they even bother giving you a hs this bad?

no one else complained about temps this high...

OP
pummer

pummer

i took the HS off as i'm gonna get some thermal compound in the next few days. What I see, however, is odd to me. Pictures are here. It seems the compound that was on the HSF has melted around the proc. I can safely wipe this off, right? I'm getting AS3 in a few days...

yes, my digicam sucks

OP
pummer

pummer

yeah but i'm not on the comp with compression software, the hd with that on it is in the comp with the barton

what do you think?

can you see anything?
basically the stock compound is caked on the sides of the chip...

OP
pummer

pummer

yeah i think you're right. I jiggled the heatsink a bit when I first mounted it, so i think that's why it was running so hot. I cleaned off all the compound from the HSF and chip, and I'm getting some AS3 soon. Thanks for your help.

BTW, you know how on athlons there is a slight discoloration around where they mounted the little cache chips? Well where I cleaned the compound off the ceramic, it turned that color also. Still beige, but just a shade lighter. Will this void my warranty?? I haven't done any damage, have I?

OP
pummer

pummer

Here's the latest scoop:
Bought AS3. Applied it. Temps were still 58-59C. Figured, what the hell, went into windows. installed all the drivers and stuff, and then flashed the BIOS.
Good news:
Temps now reading 39C Idle in BIOS "PC Health" screen
Bad news:
Windows locks up every time at that logo screen with the scrolling thingy.

Running a repair installation, will update on results.

OP
pummer

pummer

nooooo
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
ok, the repair worked for one reboot, but now it locks up in the Windows splash screen. the scrolling thingy just stops. Any ideas?

fiji

i would try a full format

also did you clear teh cmos after you flashed teh bios?

OP
pummer

pummer

yeah. i'm backing up my stuff now using knoppix (burning to cds), then i'm formatting

figured i'd need it anyway, after all this HD was sysprepped over to this system in the first place

Glaze132

Hi the same thing happens to me when I reset the computer if my computer locks up in windows and at the splash screen the scrolling thingy just stops and I hold the power button til it turns off and I wait a few seconds and then turn it back on and it is all fine and dandy. I don't know if this is your prob though everything is worth a shot though.