• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basement Stair Rack Project - Node Zero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking good!

My wife agrees that it's a great use of space...and a very geeky idea! :thup:

Coming along nicely! :thup:

Awesome!
I'm thinking of fishing some Cat6 through the walls here too...

Haha you and everyone else I've shared this with it seems lol. My friend who graduated with me with a networking degree and now works with me just mentioned doing some cable running after I shared the pics with him.

Let me know if you have any questions I will be happy to help with what I can.

Looking good!

My wife agrees that it's a great use of space...and a very geeky idea! :thup:

Thanks man, my wife was actually impressed on how clean all the jacks looked. I am OCD to the point of making sure everything is level and in line with the other jacks.

My only issue would be trying to drop from the attic... I'm not sure if there's any space for me to drop the cables behind the walls.

My only issue would be trying to drop from the attic... I'm not sure if there's any space for me to drop the cables behind the walls.

If you have normal interior walls there shouldn't be an issue. If there is insulation a good way is using a fish tape to push through. Or if your, ahem, resourceful like me then grab a collapsible tent pole.

Quick and dirty picture update:

Everything except the modem is now in one place. Waiting for a coworker to snag me a Cisco cable so I can get the basic config done and rescue the switch when I break it haha. Still trying to find my KVM cable so I can get the keyboard and monitor hooked up to the router and server together.

IMG_0972.JPG

I've also been calling around to scrapyards trying to find one that has a broken rack that I can part out tongue.gif So far no luck. If only the IT consulting companies would get back to me about their surplus and salvage.

Here's also a quick layout of my current home network. Just for laughs.

Home.png

Until later, thanks for staying tuned in.

Node Zero Update:

More hardware.... but not necessarily related. :rolleyes:

So, yesterday I happened to be heading to the gym at work, and I noticed a cart with electronic equipment stacked on it. After my workout I noticed the cart was still there. Upon closer inspection I saw a few things that I could use for Node Zero. These things included a rack mounted power strip, 2 high power fans(Specs), and most importantly a cabinet that had some A/V equipment mounted. The cabinet is about a 11U height but the best part is it has a set of rails I can steal off of it so I can move forward with my project.

After finding the owner of the equipment and learning that it was all headed to salvage, they told me that anything I wanted from the pile to take it and if I wanted to take it all they wouldn't complain. Soo... I give you my AV mother load. It's all working equipment pulled from the auditorium's sound booth after they upgraded the video control system. :thumb:

Rack with AV switching equipment, PC Lockbox(was used for the public computer), power strip, camera control board(do I hear custom security system in safe room?), box with a couple unknown units and cables galore(power and video cables), second box with the 2 fans screwed to the board and more cables(mic and Audio)

IMG_1047JPG.jpg

Three Sony video monitors (2 B&W and 1 Color- from what they told me), 1 Dell PC monitor

IMG_1048JPG.jpg

A shot of the fans

IMG_1045JPG.jpg

Closeup of power strip(It's 8 outlets if I remember right)

IMG_1046JPG.jpg

Shot of the cabinet when it was on the cart.

IMG_1044JPG.jpg

Another great score! WTG Dalchi! I have no shame in "salvaging" from curb/driveway piles either! ;)
My wife was actually the one that taught me to ask, because the worse thing to happen is they say no. ..... Now that's bit her in the butt hahaha

Sweet find!!! :thup:
Thanks SP. took 30 minutes this morning to take the rails off the box and install on my rack. Got the PDU mounted and found out the PC monitor I got fits perfectly up top. Pics to come.

FASTER! Pics to come faster please. ;)

Right now I just have a picture of the PDU mounted. If I can sneak in another 30 mins tomorrow morning I should be able to mount the switch and patch panel. With it cables semi managed and possibly figure out how I want to mount the monitor. But I will post as soon as I can. I can't disappoint my public :)

Node Zero Update:

So I had a couple minutes over the weekend to do a little more work.

Tasks Accomplished:
1. Teardown AV rack and salvage the rails
2. Install rails on homemade rack
3. Mount power strip
4. Mount patch panel
5. Mount switch and re-run cables

Next tasks.
1. Build moving shelves for towers
2. Decide on mounting solution for monitor
3. Build storage solution and migrate server to rack case
4. Build ventilation ductwork(last step as this won't be needed until basement is finished.

Next Steps.jpg

Install plywood top to rack and get it in place.

IMG_1054.JPG

Rails mounted, monitor fit and placement decided upon, and power strip mounted.

IMG_1055.JPG

Patch panel and switch mounted, patch cables redone( try to ignore the messy cables... I need to order new cables for cleaner runs. The purple and orange ones seen previously won't reach due to ports 1 and 1 not lining up).

IMG_1064.JPG

Rotory phone? Wow... nice! Liking this project... Im working on mine as we... its just a pain right now with no time off.

Rotory phone? Wow... nice! Liking this project... Im working on mine as we... its just a pain right now with no time off.

I believe the phone is from the original owners, given the look and condition of the wires.

Glad you like the project and I hope you learn from my mistakes haha. If you have any questions let me know, I will try to answer any that I can. I'm with you with the lack of time, lately I've just been sneaking in 10-20 minutes at a time..... usually at 1am when the wife and kids are passed out. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the phone is from the original owners, given the look and condition of the wires.

Glad you like the project and I hope you learn from my mistakes haha. If you have any questions let me know, I will try to answer any that I can. I'm with you with the lack of time, lately I've just been sneaking in 10-20 minutes at a time..... usually at 1am when the wife and kids are passed out. ;)

My only suggestion would be to replace the 'servers' with fanless pc's. Less power consumption and no moving parts except for the data discs/nas stuff. Also, just curious, but is the Night Shark Client a security system? Searched briefly and found nada. Throw some solar panels on the roof and run it all for free. Can't wait to see it all lit up at night.

My only suggestion would be to replace the 'servers' with fanless pc's. Less power consumption and no moving parts except for the data discs/nas stuff. Also, just curious, but is the Night Shark Client a security system? Searched briefly and found nada. Throw some solar panels on the roof and run it all for free. Can't wait to see it all lit up at night.

I'm not worried about the power consumption or noise as this is stationary setup in the basement. Once I get around to finishing the basement this will be enclosed with sound dampening material. Finished basement will have 1 bedroom, a wet bar, pool table, and theatre set up. Nothing that will be bothered by the occasional swoosh of a fan haha.

In regards to Night Shark, that's my main desktop and not an actual software(client). Just referred as a client since it uses the services offered by my servers :)

I'd love to do solar for sure, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worth it since the house hardly gets any direct sunlight. The house is surrounded by thick tall trees, we are the "cabin in the woods" haha.

9/15/16
Node Zero Update:

Tasks Accomplished Since Last Update:
1. Everything is hooked up to the network…. Although my PFSense is currently on a different VLAN until all VPN/VLAN/Firewall is configured
2. Updated Night Shark with new parts

Next tasks.
1. Build moving shelves for towers
2. Decide on mounting solution for monitor
3. Build storage solution and migrate server to rack case
4. Build ventilation ductwork(last step as this won't be needed until basement is finished.

But for the main information….. the freebie train has stopped at the Node Zero junction again!!

I happened to be browsing the local craigslist and suddenly a plethora of items were listed under the Computer parts section. Included in the posts were a APC Rackmounted UPS and several APC Rack Mounted Battery packs. Upon contacting the guy I found out that he was not selling them but instead donating to anyone who can use them. So I will be meeting with him tomorrow at lunch to pick up these big boys.

APC Smart-UPS Rack Mounted Unit XL 2200 VA RM 3U 120V

UPS.jpg

APC Smart-UPS Rack Mounted Unit XL 48V RM 3U Battery Pack

batterypack.jpg

Back