• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic PWM Assistance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
I just purchased an NZXT from Amazon (I assume new version or I will be sending it back) anyways, if I am not mistaken the included fan hub is for PWM correct? I have never utilized PWM on my builds (its been years now) and would like to take advantage of it but it can be a bit overwhelming for a first timer. So essentially I want to be on the lookout for fans with 4 pin connections is that correct? What is the difference b/t 3 and 4 pin fans? Just that a 4 pin makes its pwm essentially? As long as a 4 pin fan is plugged into this hub it will be controlled by way of mobo right?

I feel like this image could be very helpful, but before I go plugging in 10 different wires I'd like to make sure I have it all sorted out. So the "NZXT Fan 1, 2, 3, 4) would all be case fans right, and as long as they are 4 pin I'm good to go with PWM.

The "molex power" is just what I would be connecting to the PSU?

I'm confused about "PWM cable to CPUFAN1" is this cable coming from the hub itself or from somewhere else? Where does it connect?
Which leaves me confused about "CPUFAN" what exactly is this? Where is it coming/going?

Also I will be purchasing an AIO CPU cooler, where will I be running that too?

Sorry for the length its just a bit overwhelming.

What case, exactly, did you purchase? NZXT is a brand...

Basically, think of the PWM controller/hub as a audio amplifier. You give it power and input signals, and it makes output signals:

1. You connect the Molex Power to your power supply (power)
2. You connect the Hard Wired connector (top left on your picture) to a PWM header on your motherboard (input signal)
3. You connect fans into any of the other connectors (output signal)

The PWM controller/hub will set the speeds of all fans connected to whatever is coming off the PWM header. For best results, the fans you connect to the controller/hub should be the same...but it's not required.

There is a maximum amount of power that this controller can drive...you will have to get the specs from the NZXT website.

P.S.: Please host picture on this website! :thup:

Back