• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Batch code coincidence, typo or counterfeit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slawson

Registered
I'm building a new system, slowly, and last week I picked up a P4 3.0. I'd read Malaysian, 42+ week, pack date 01/19/04 were having some success (I know, one of these days I'll have to get off my knees) so I found an L346B283 - 01/19/04 and brought it home. OK, then I found another thread where someone's saying they're not having any particular success with similar batch codes but wait a minute, he's been trying a couple of "B's" and it's the "A's" that are hitting the 3.9's and 4's.
Damm, out the door, return the chip and find an L401A331. (I've really got to get off my knees). Now the funny thing is that while perusing the cpu database under uncleared 3.0c's I see a 3.674G overclock with a batch code of L346B283.
I always assumed these were batches of a 1000 giving each an individual number so either it's a hell of a coincidence that someone picked the same cpu up and had it clocked, and entered into the database within the week or I was holding a counterfeit.

Last edited:
It's a coincidence.
Example :
last year, my buddy JCViggen and I both bought a 2.8C at the same store. Both cpu's were the same FPO# and pack date.
His cpu went up to 4.3Ghz on his Prommy, while mine barely reached 4ghz, also Prommy cooled. We both had the same boards (IC7), where I knew that mine was also good for 300FSB.
My last 2.8C was an L321A... and I found someone in the US with the same FPO# and pack date as mine (I live in Europe), but his cpu overclocked better than mine. Coincidence or luck?
I choose for the second option.

Good luck with cpu anyway. ;)

No, Im buying it a piece by piece. I'm close though, I now have the 3.0, P4C800E-D, Twinned OCZ PC4200 EL 512's. I have ordered an Antec 160 & 550 PS and will decide on Video card sometine this week. I'm getting itchy and sleeping less.

I know the feeling when waiting for something new. :D
Good choices, hope that the cpu overclocks very well.
Keep us updated, if possible.
And good luck with your new parts.

Back