• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Batch File for borging?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Do any of you guys use a batch file to install it all? I am almost done with mine. It adds all the stuff including the extra flags and makes it boot when the system is booted. I am working on a way to setup it with a service but have it included w/ the batch file and not a seperate installer like I already have. My goal is to pop in the CD and run the batch file and it will get it all done in a few seconds and of i go... mwah hahaha.:D

Nice. If you get it to work properly, I'd like to get a copy of that! :)
Oh and please add instructions for those of us who don't know how to use a batch file.

Okey dokey. Running a batch file is easy. All you do is double click it and it does all the work for you. :D Thanks my kind of program.

EDIT: I got a "beta" version done. I have been testing it @ school... I will do some for testing in a bit since I will need to uninstall F@H from one of my foldering rigs (which ever PC in my farm finishes 1st). I tryed it and it works, but if the program is already installed it will run off that one and I need to see if the thing works in a borging scenerio. I should be done with my little V1.0 any day.

If its small enough wouldnt a floppy be faster than CD? I know read/transfer times would be faster so that may make me wrong....lol

Floppies just seem more convenient :D

Keep us posted and post the batch file when you get it working (or close). I was going to start the "fire and forget version" but I haven't had time.

Cheers to you for taking it to the next level and let us help if we can.

Wedo

bubba gump said:
If its small enough wouldnt a floppy be faster than CD? I know read/transfer times would be faster so that may make me wrong....lol

Floppies just seem more convenient :D

Well I need to other files too, like the core and config. Its currently easier do do it this way w/ gromacs. Its 1.9MB I think, the batch file is like 5K tho. Plus its fun using CD-RWs, lol.

Wedo said:
Keep us posted and post the batch file when you get it working (or close). I was going to start the "fire and forget version" but I haven't had time.

Cheers to you for taking it to the next level and let us help if we can.

Wedo

Thx, will do. I think I got it nailed, now to get my main rig's TCP probs fixed. (non-related issue)

No need for the core it will download on its own. If I am not mistaken all you need is the .exe and the client.cfg . The rest will be created. Just be carefull not to distribute it with the client. Stanford does not let other people distibute it;) Fold on!!!

I have made one for easy borging. It uses EMIII to completely hide the console and it is put in stealth mode. Starts up on boot with advmethods and forceasm too. It is under 1 meg so it fits on a floppy as well. However, from the looks of it wedo's (i think it's his) service installer would be better. However for win98 and win2k/xp computers where you don't have administrative rights mine works well.
This website is what I used to learn how to make batch files. It is pretty straight forward and it is pretty detailed with tons of commands.
http://users.cybercity.dk/~bse26236/batutil/help/INDEX.HTM

So a batch file install that sets up a service install should do the following:

1. Install the fahconsole.exe and client.cfg into a directory called "folding" or something of the like.
2. Run the setup.exe for the service install using the "existing" choice which points to the directory set up in step 1.
3. Add the -advmethods flag via a .reg file.

Hmmm... I can't wait to see this batch file. Good luck.

Wedo

Slightly different I know, but I had all the files on a network share and I used the following batch file to copy them to the HD and start the client. For those who don't know batch files, save this as a text document but give it the extension .bat, i.e. folding.bat or something and then just double click to run it. I called it from the startup folder of a particular user, so that whenever they logged on it copies across and starts folding - a one time deal. On our systems, the client doesn't connect first time, hence why it starts, stops and restarts. The choice statements make it pause a couple of seconds to make sure it's finished the last statement before continuing, and of course I used HideItX to hide the console.

md c:\windows\temp\fah

copy N:\MyWork\fah\*.* c:\windows\temp\fah

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -starthide
c:\windows\temp\fah\FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

choice Waiting for start /ty,8

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -stop FAH3Console

choice Closing first run /ty,5

choice Waiting for start /ty,5

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -ontop FAH3Console

pause

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -hide FAH3Console

exit

Hey Xsquared! Whats this hideit X thing? Sounds interesting.

Flash thx for the link but I also have a site I check when I run into errors. Thanks anyways!

Kenden yeah I just forgot @ the time I dont need the core, it does help to have it tho @ my school, DLs are slow on busy days.

xsquared_uk said:
Slightly different I know, but I had all the files on a network share and I used the following batch file to copy them to the HD and start the client. For those who don't know batch files, save this as a text document but give it the extension .bat, i.e. folding.bat or something and then just double click to run it. I called it from the startup folder of a particular user, so that whenever they logged on it copies across and starts folding - a one time deal. On our systems, the client doesn't connect first time, hence why it starts, stops and restarts. The choice statements make it pause a couple of seconds to make sure it's finished the last statement before continuing, and of course I used HideItX to hide the console.

md c:\windows\temp\fah

copy N:\MyWork\fah\*.* c:\windows\temp\fah

choice Waiting for start /ty,8

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -stop FAH3Console

choice Closing first run /ty,5

choice Waiting for start /ty,5

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -ontop FAH3Console

pause

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -hide FAH3Console

exit

that doesnt set it up to run on startup does it? i need somthing that will set it up to run on startup and not need admin accnt to do it... i have read wedo's thing buy you need to be admin to run the setup :-/

Also, I made a few changes and the borg disk is 300K. Basically I got rid of the core and stuff others can just DL. I plan to leave it on my disk for the school PCs. Mine should not require admin rights to set it up. I am testing that part on a Win 2k Pro, Win 2k Advanced Server, and my Win 2k3 server (eval) with regular user rights and admin rights. I am also testing on XP Pro and 98. I will keep you guys updated. I just got to fix one minor thing and I should be ready to go.

That's great sniper! I'm going to take what you have and try to "slipstream" the service and registry file install. I think I might be able to get an autorun.ini going to so the proggie just starts when you pop it into the cdrom.

Therefore, we'll end up with the Hide It version and the Service Install version. Both are necessary as every network is different.

Cool-ee-O

Wedo

Well, since the service install doesnt work on 9X (which this rig is) i may use the "Hide It" method..gonna go look on ocau on how to do it....:eek:

But glad to hear that the production on your guy's automated files is workin and being tested :)

'Bump

Now all i need is something to close the console (correctly) on computer shutdown, coz since im in 9X it wont close a dos window (in the case of 2k/XP Dos "emulator", which closes it w/o a problem) w/o u closing it manually...sonofagun :(

That would be perfect, if any of you dont mind writing one up id be right as rain to fold on this rig w/o them noticing (and still be able to turn it off :))

'Bump

Well I am here @ school (glad they havent banned this forum) and I am testing on 9x as we speak. Its win 98. :)

But whats the Hide it thing xsquared talked about?

HideItX is on the em-dc.com website with EM3 (scroll to the bottom, it is listed there under General Purpose). It is just a hiding program, hence the name? :p

EDIT: Damn Typos

Back