• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG BatManned's Computer Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Phase 9 – Computer Component Installation
IMG_0741 2.jpg
IMG_0742 2.jpg
IMG_0743 2.jpg
IMG_0746 2.jpg
IMG_0747 2.jpg
IMG_0748 2.jpg
IMG_0750 2.jpg
IMG_0750.5 2.jpg
IMG_0750.6 2.jpeg
IMG_0751 2.jpg
IMG_0752 2.jpg
IMG_0754 2.jpg
IMG_0755 2.jpg
IMG_0756 2.jpg
IMG_0759 2.jpg
IMG_0760 2.jpg

Time for the moment of truth right!? Time to install my current computer components into the new case and verify what I’ll need to finalize the case.

Knowing that this was going to be the toughest of the pieces to install, I started this process with my power supply in the upper corner. That being said, getting the back nut on the power supply’s elbow screw was the biggest pain in the *** so far to this case. Just contorting my hand and attempting several times to get that one nut screwed on took me an hour or so. Not to mention this whole time, my son was being ever so ‘helpful’ ^.^

Enough of my bickering, let’s move on. Once I finally got the power supply in, I put in the motherboard (nice and easy), followed by the heatsink fan (not too difficult), and lastly the hard drive (piece of cake).

I started running the cables around the way I thought would make the most sense and not just be all cluttered in there in one place. I was then able to see what cables / cable adapters / cable extensions I needed to make sure everything would connect and work.

Remember in Phase 6 when I said I thought the power supply cable was the biggest cable that needed to go through the triangular hole? Yea, it turned out that my cable hole was too small for the DVI / monitor cable heads to fit through. I decided in order to get around that, I would get DVI to HDMI adapters and then use the HDMI cables to get through the hole. Only one of my two monitors though has a HDMI connector, so I had to use another adapter to convert it back from HDMI to DVI for that monitor.

I got fan molex adapters/extension cables so that all the fans would be able to connect to the power supply. Also, since my graphics card runs extremely close to the top area, I bought right angle DVI adapters. There was a plastic lip bordering the connectors which made them too close together to get them to both plug into the graphics card at the same time, so I used a knife to slightly shave off a portion of this lipped area. This worked out perfectly allowing them both to connect easily to the graphics card and not rub up against the top of the case. This not only helped making it fit easier, it also helped with running the cables more cleanly.

So I got everything wired and connected and started my first boot up. For some reason, none of my fans were working. Though that concerned me, the computer otherwise booted up just fine and seemed to be working beautifully. I double checked all my fan connections and plugs and everything looked to be in order. Since I wasn’t able to figure it out, I called my brother-in-law who knows more about this kind of thing. He came over and played with it for a while; then when he looked up the cable online, he noticed that the pins were wired incorrectly. Basically, there is a red and black wire; the black wire was originally in the first pin location and the red was originally in the second pin location. According to the picture online, that was backwards. I had to pull these pins out and reverse their locations. Once I did that and plugged it all back in, everything worked perfectly and the computer is up and running.

Last edited:
Needs to be hung up on the wall about where the painting is ;)

Needs to be hung up on the wall about where the painting is ;)

That is the plan. I intend to put the yellow LEDs on the inside and around the back side so that when it hangs on the wall it looks like the bat symbol :)

Looks awesome...and heavy.

Actually I feel like it is lighter than when I had my normal case. Just a bit more bulky.

Sweet!

My stepson wants one...care to build another? Hehe

I would love to make this a kind of business but I can't see this being a very large market for people. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. This project was very fun for me and I have loads of ideas for others that I would like to make as well.

Thank you all for the support so far! :)

Can't wait to see the wall mount happen!
How much does it weigh?

Can't wait to see the wall mount happen!
How much does it weigh?

I don't have an exact weight but I think it feels lighter than when I had a normal case.

- - - Updated - - -

Phase 10 – Up and Running
IMG_0765 2.jpg
IMG_0766 2.jpg
IMG_0767 2.jpg
IMG_0771 2.jpg
IMG_0772 2.jpg

So here are pictures of the computer all set up and it officially works. Everything is running smoothly, no errors or issues.

I have not yet added the LED lights which I won’t have time to complete before QuakeCon. I’ll be adding more details and hopefully new components in the near future. So look forward to Phase 11 – QuakeCon Photos, Phase 12 - Additional Details, Phase 13 – New Computer Components, and Phase 14 – Finalization.

Phase 11 – QuakeCon Photos
IMG_0786 2.jpg
IMG_0785 2.jpg
IMG_0789 2.jpg

Here are a few picture of the set up I had at QuakeCon. Originally like I said, I didn’t have any LEDs at all, but on Day 2 of QuakeCon I brought a strand with me and quickly attached them just using tape on the inside to give it just a little something extra.

Hundreds if not thousands of people stopped daily complimenting the case and taking photos of it; it was almost a non-stop thing for 3+ days.

Now I am local to Dallas where the event is held so I go home nightly to bathe and tuck my son into bed. Due to the fact that I left, I missed out on meeting / talking to Adam Sessler, but according to my friends / gaming clan (Deadly Gaming - www.deadlygaming.com) that were there with me, he came by and checked it out and talked to them about it. I wish I was there for that as I used to watch his shows growing up through high school and that would have been awesome! Anyway, drawing attention from him in general for this build is still incredibly cool!

I was entered into the Modding contest and though I didn’t place in the top 3, I do believe I had the fan favorite at the convention. People seemed super impressed by the build and how smoothly it was crafted; including the judges who were feeling the edges trying to feel the welds or errors that were left from the welds and they couldn’t find any. Sanding as much as I did paid off in that aspect :)

Finally just before I was about to pack up and leave for home, I was visited by a representative at the Nvidia booth who offered me a trade / upgrade to my graphics card. My current card that I have been using for years was the Nvidia 570 and I was traded that card, for the Nvidia 960 card. Due to it being so dark in the BYOC and the fact that he wanted to do the upgrade in person, I wasn't able to take pictures of opening the box for the first time and showing a comparison from old to new.

Back