• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battery Backup question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Hey guys, ive got this Belkin Universal UPS 800VA which it says provides up to 45 minutes backup time and has a Battery capacity load: 800VA (450 Watts)
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=76&pcount=&Product_Id=123024# and was wondering if it was possible to hook more than one pc up to it? Currently it is hooked up to my one server which has an Antec True 430WATT PSU in it. But would it be possible for me to hook my other server up to it which also has an Antec True 430WATT PSU and if possible another smaller one which has a 230WATT PSU? I dont need a long backup time; I just need like 5 or so extra minutes for the servers after the power goes out to safely shut them down. Thanks!

Sony

Senior Lighting Designer
I have 2 computers hooked up to my 1050VA Tripp-lite along with a printer, monitor, PS2, and KVM

Myrdhinn

Registered
You might get away with one more computer but 3 is pushing it and could damage the unit. Depends a lot on how much hardware is running on all the machines.

{PMS}fishy

Myrdhinn said:
You might get away with one more computer but 3 is pushing it and could damage the unit. Depends a lot on how much hardware is running on all the machines.

The number of computers has little to do with anything. Saying that 3 is pushing it says nothing.

You should not load a UPS beyond 80%.

A 430 watt PSU does not pull 430 watts. Check the PF on the PSU also, to see the max that it can draw. Generally a PSU is under 50% load, give or take.

So assume that the 430 watt is 225w and the 230 watt is 150w.

When I figured those numbers, I divided by 2 and rounded up. Always round up, never down. Better safe than overloaded.

I know that my APC UPS has hardware monitoring and it will tell me how loaded it is. Im not sure about yours, but check into it, as its very usefull.

OP
R

raventy

ah.. I belive theres a way to get my UPS's monitoring software display the load... Ill look into it and see what it currently says then Ill check the PSUs on the PCs. Thanks for the replies thus far guys!