• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battleship Mtron - Solid State Raid Performance Explored using the Mtron 16GB Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He no longer has the battleship (direct hit! lol), I think he only has 1 mtron now (its a motor boat now).

Thats weird considering your raptor can only read so fast, less then 100mbs should at a minimum take as long as what the raptor can dish out. Can you run some HD benches chawks? Like HD Tune, ATTO, or pcmark or vantage

Pcmark05 and Pcmark vantage will give you a true indication of real world performance. For me 1 74gb raptor was just as good as a 3 drive matrix raid 0, until you deal alot with big files the raptors win hands down on everyday tasks, a 4 drive setup was alittle faster but I have an 8mb 74gb raptor and I had a bunch of problems with the raid setup running 4 drives in matrix raid always needing to rebuild the raid 5 on the.

Thinking of picking up a 32gb mobi my self, considering the performance increase for me compared to a videocard (I dont game) it would benefit me more then a nice video card

Last edited:
He no longer has the battleship, I think he only has 1 mtron now.

Thats weird considering your raptor can only read so fast, less then 100mbs should at a minimum take as long as what the raptor can dish out.

Thinking of picking up a 32gb mobi my self, considering the performance increase for me compared to a videocard (I dont game) it would benefit me more then a nice video card

i agree.... unless something is cached??

Yea possibly if vista already had it in memory then it would take as long as the raid 5 can write, how much ram do you have chawks? hard to tell from your sig 4gb or 8gb?

It could have cached the movie for sure with that much ram, try to transfer 10+gb and see how long it takes

Sorry guys, my sig needs some updating (8G RAM). Will do some benchies, hopefully I'll have some time tonight. The file xfer speeds in SP1 Vista are ludicrous in comparison to it's RTM stepbrother. :D

Yea possibly if vista already had it in memory then it would take as long as the raid 5 can write, how much ram do you have chawks? hard to tell from your sig 4gb or 8gb?

It could have cached the movie for sure with that much ram, try to transfer 10+gb and see how long it takes

from my experience, Vista does use ram a bit smarter then older windows versions as it caches most of the ram rather than leaving it available... available is pretty much wasted ram for the most part...

I dont know how to explain it, but the benchmarks have improved. RTM never had this instantaneous file xfer to a separate channel. Here are some hdtach/hdtune images:

Vista RTM

hd.raid5.aac.jpg

Vista SP1
hd.raid5.aac.Vista.SP1.jpg

????

Im thinking something was wrong with your raptor the way it was setup, only way it would take 1-2 mins for a 700mb file which should take less then 10s.

I noticed a huge difference having write back cache turned on for a single drive in xp, (I turned it off after I lost everything on a disk because I took it out before it was done writing or something) Huge performance hit, so I turned it back on and tell my self to reboot before I pull a drive to be safe

No configuration change was made to the Raptor from RTM to SP1. I have had write back cache on from the beginning. :confused:

Back