• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baybus? Fanbus? Wat's going on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DKC

Can anyone explain to me a Baybus and a Fanbus, and which do I need?

Fanbus- (used to connect fans
productBus-01_fullsize.jpg

baybus- (used to control fans)
productBus-05_fullsize.jpg

So the fanbus hooks into the baybus, and the baybus hooks into the power???

Good good, I think I understand sufficiently, sort of, now, to hook a fan into that kind of fanbus I'm gonna have to cut off the molex connector and just use bare wires right?

Also, how do I know which knob controles which fan???? Cuz there is only one wire from the fanbus, so how can it differentiate?

DKC said:
So the fanbus hooks into the baybus, and the baybus hooks into the power???

Good good, I think I understand sufficiently, sort of, now, to hook a fan into that kind of fanbus I'm gonna have to cut off the molex connector and just use bare wires right?

Also, how do I know which knob controles which fan???? Cuz there is only one wire from the fanbus, so how can it differentiate?

no no no.. the fanbus is just to power fans, the baybus is to power and controll fan rpms. there 2 different mods, that arent ment to be used together. you can have both, but the dont work together. they be seperate in the case. you use the fans to power your normal case fans, and the batbus to power you blowholes and cpu fans to cut the noise level.

the baybus has a fan connector for each dial. go too www.fanbus.com and read there site. it explains everything. then come back if you need help :)

The fanbus is used to hookup 1 or more fans to a single power source. If you connect 4 fans to the fanbus & then plug the fanbus molex into your power supply, all 4 fans will run at full speed.

The baybus is used to control the speed of 1 or more fans independent of each other. Each of the 4 fans would be plugged into the baybus & the baybus plugged into the power supply. Each reostat would then control 1 fan.

If you plugged 4 fans into the fanbus, connected the fanbus power to 1 of the baybus "channels" & then the baybus power to the power supply, the reostat would control all 4 fans the same. You would need to be careful because you could easily exceed the reostats power rating & fry it.

ok i'm sorta starting to get it, I just have a couple questions...

1) If I plug 6 fans into the fanbus how can I plug that into the baybus in order to control 2 fans per rheostat? Because if there is only one molex connector from the fan to bay, how can it tell which fan goes to which switch?

Also, i'm considering just making my own fanbus,/baybus in one, I think I can do it but, one little thing

I have 3 case fans that came with the case, and they have the little 3 pin connectors, one yellow wire, a black and another yellow/red, which ones do i use when i connect???

Like on the fanbus, there is a red and black connectore, which wire would go where?

DKC said:
ok i'm sorta starting to get it, I just have a couple questions...

1) If I plug 6 fans into the fanbus how can I plug that into the baybus in order to control 2 fans per rheostat? Because if there is only one molex connector from the fan to bay, how can it tell which fan goes to which switch?

You do not need the fanbus when you use a baybus!!!!! to controll two fans per rheostat just hook the two fans to one rheostat in the baybus. Be carefull and make sure that the rheostats can handle the two fans,

Edit: here is a good site with instructions on building your own baybus: http://www.fanbus.com/thelab/BayBusAug01/BayBus_Aug01.htm

here is the link to Cliff's

Last edited:
kendan said:

You do not need the fanbus when you use a baybus!!!!! to controll two fans per rheostat just hook the two fans to one rheostat in the baybus. Be carefull and make sure that the rheostats can handle the two fans,

Edit: here is a good site with instructions on building your own baybus: http://www.fanbus.com/thelab/BayBusAug01/BayBus_Aug01.htm

here is the link to Cliff's

yea, www.fanbus.com will expain everything. and you should get both unless u have alot of fans in your system and you only want to controll a few of them.

Back