• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD-7II Owners- yay or nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larva

Inactive Moderator
I'm considereing ordering a BD7-II because they are cheap and I've seen a lot of succesful 160-170fsb machines built on them. I know that the board makes ~1.65V max on the Vcore but I don't really wish to run any more than that. Given that I'm OK with the cpu voltage situation, is there anything else to keep one from liking this board? Should I ante for a BE7, P4PE or the like or will this get the job done?

I'm considering replacing my P4S533 in the sig machine with this. I don't care about 845e vs pe, I just want the best chance of getting my 150fsb to 160 or higher should the chip have it in it.

Pntgrd

A BD7-II will fit your needs well. But I would still consider getting the BE7 instead. It will have native support for ran higher than PC2100. I know you can run at higher speeds but it is not recognized as supported. Corsair will tell you that theit PC3200 is not compatible with the BD7-II (been there with a bad stick). My system (see sig.) took a powwer hit of some kind last week. Killed the cpu and the ram and I will guess m/b, too. I know when I put it back together it will be the BE7 Raid that I will use. Don't get me wrong, the BD7-II is a great board but they replaced it with the BE7 for something.

Hawk

I have both boards. I personally like the 7 II better mostly because of the PCI bus lock. I think it's a fine board and nice price as well.
my 4 cents (inflation you know)

OP
larva

larva

Inactive Moderator
thanks for the input

I know it's a fairly successfull board, just wanted to hear from some actual owners. I ordered one (sans RAID) with LAN for $83.50, so it's cheap enough. I would buy the BE7 if my distributor had them, this will have to do for now. The P4PE is a good bit more costly and that was the only 845pe board available to me today.

BTW-do 845pe boards have a 4:5 cpu:memory multiplier or are they limited to 1:1 and 3:4 like the 845e?

TWY

The 845PE boards have a 4:5 ratio. However, this is applicable to CPUs on 533MHz Bus. For CPUs on 400MHz Bus, you'll only have 3:4 and no 4:5. Am I right?

OP
larva

larva

Inactive Moderator
the results

I got the BD7-II installed and it allowed me to bump the fsb from the 150 of the SiS645DX P4S533 to 162MHz, bringing on chip from 2.4 to 2.6GHz. This is with a mid-year retail 1.6a. I wasn't able to do 3:4 at this speed with my generic Samsung CTL PC2700, but out of all luck the 512MB Kingston Value Ram I bought for my sister's new machine tolerates 3:4 at 162fsb for 432MHz on chip (PC3500!). Ram runs cool at 2.7V with cas 2-7-3-3 timings.

I put a post in the memory section detailing how the performance of the various combinations stacks up.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139227

As I suspected there is still a lot of life left in a good 845e board, at least with just the right cpu and ram. Some of the stories of boot problems and difficulty getting the 3:4 multiplier stable kind of gave me pause. My machine will run at 166fsb, but does not put up video every time you start it (like 1 out 10 times... lol).

Csybe

Re: the results

larva said:
I got the BD7-II installed and it allowed me to bump the fsb from the 150 of the SiS645DX P4S533 to 162MHz, bringing on chip from 2.4 to 2.6GHz. This is with a mid-year retail 1.6a. I wasn't able to do 3:4 at this speed with my generic Samsung CTL PC2700, but out of all luck the 512MB Kingston Value Ram I bought for my sister's new machine tolerates 3:4 at 162fsb for 432MHz on chip (PC3500!). Ram runs cool at 2.7V with cas 2-7-3-3 timings.

I put a post in the memory section detailing how the performance of the various combinations stacks up.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139227

As I suspected there is still a lot of life left in a good 845e board, at least with just the right cpu and ram. Some of the stories of boot problems and difficulty getting the 3:4 multiplier stable kind of gave me pause. My machine will run at 166fsb, but does not put up video every time you start it (like 1 out 10 times... lol).

The memory is amazing, you're very lucky!

OP
larva

larva

Inactive Moderator
yeah, luck is a big part of overclocking. Even without the amazing ram the board is an improvement over the SiS I had, but with the ram at PC3500 it's about all you could ask for. I finally feel this rig is a "keeper", while I was always searching for something with the SiS.

Last edited:

Bedrock

bd7ii rocks

I purchased a BD7II non raid board a few months ago and couldn't be happier. great overclock and with 3-4 memory setting, I can run at 160 all day which gives me a 3250 score in sandra mem test (corsair 3200xms). Really stable overclock.

Rakk

Yep, I've got a BD7-II as well and it's never given me a sniff of trouble. It's only a fairly mild overclock (1.6a @ 2.13) but i'm happy with that for now.

The boards are so cheap now that anyone looking for a good value solution can't go far wrong with buying a bargain BD7-II.

Estra

Registered
Hawk said:
I have both boards. I personally like the 7 II better mostly because of the PCI bus lock. I think it's a fine board and nice price as well.
my 4 cents (inflation you know)

i am having the same motherboard and cpu... but temperatures seems little too high(mobo shows wrong temperature?). how high temperatures do your BD7-II show? i'm having cpu45(idle),system36 <--- they seem pretty high to me

OP
larva

larva

Inactive Moderator
Yeah, the hardware monitoring is pretty innacurate on the BD-7II. Understanding this and the fact that 1.65V is all the Vcore you are going to get is crucial to success. I drew my line at 1.65V long ago, so this does not detract from satiisfaction with the board.

The voltages read low and and the temperatures read high, at least compared to other boards. On my Asus P4S533 the 12V read 11.91V, it reads but 11.55V on the BD7-II. The other voltages are down by a similar percentage. CPU temps read 5-7C higher on the BD7-II.

All this said, I like the board. It is a high performance piece, you just have to understand the voltages will show low and the temp high. It's always dangerous to compare readings from board to board, and the BD7 is one board that will show you why.

ElroyCarbon

OK I'm runnin the BD7 II RAID that I scooped for 59 bucks refurbed from Newegg. I'm runnin Corsair XMS3200 and a 2.53 @ 3.040 with the PCI locked and the voltage upped 15% which is detected as 1.65 in the monitor. The board is OK and I must say I have no complaints for the $. EC