• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7-II: where´s the temp sensor???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CM50K

Hi everybody!

My temps are very high with my new BD7-II RAID and I know that this is initialised by my board, because on my second ASUS P4B266-SE my NW1,6@?,? doesn´t get that warm...

Under load CPU and SYSTEM become 60 degrees, both!!!
My case isn´t that warm, if i get in to feel...

So this problem has to do with the board, especially with the temperature sensors!

Does anybody know, where the sensors are set on the board?

Who else can verify that the temps with the BD7-II are very till too high?

Thx,
Detonator

The temp sensor is controlled through the PLL IC of the motherboard. I know it reads the temp from a diode somewhere. Don't have the specifics.

I think the BD7II does run about +5C hot. Even with my P4 1.6a at stock speeds and voltage, my temps were 44C Idle, 54C Load. With the same 1.6a at 2.5ghz and 1.7Vcore, I'm at 44C Idle, 59C Load. Really wierd.

My +12V, Vcore and Vmem also display lower than they should be. I think I'm going to try and turn up the +12V POT on my Antec power supply, which hopefully will let me go a little higher:)

I've just recieved my BD7II a couple of days ago and yes it does run extremely hot.

Just turned the system on this morning and the temps are 42 for the system and 42.5 for the CPU as reported by Winbond Hardware Doctor - this is about the same in the BIOS.

Running Prime 95 or GTA3 gets the temps up to around 63 for the system diode and 60 for the CPU, so it does seem there is a trend here.

I called the support (not Abits ;D) and they wanted me to send in the board, but I think I'll try to convince them to test on one of the boards they have in stock.

I haven't had any stability issues with the board anyways, so I guess I'll take my chances.

The CPU is a 1.8 Northwood + Intel boxed cooler coupled with some Crucial PC2700, which unfortunately doesn't go to 178 MHz.

Will test with an extra temperature diode plugged into the board.

Mystery solved!

I added an extra temperature sensor and shoved it up under the northbridge heatsink, and it gave me a reading of 27-40 degrees C.

Then I tried installing the latest version of Motherboard Monitor, and apparently it resets the Winbond chip upon startup, which makes on temp drop all the way from 60 to 27 degrees C.
Funny thing is that it's the CPU diode (according to MM) that drops.

So it seems there is a problem in the BD7II BIOS, as the temps there are still just as high. And my CPU is still going all the way up to 72 degrees C under heavy load - nothing water can't cure though.

Lamps said:
and apparently it resets the Winbond chip upon startup, which makes on temp drop all the way from 60 to 27 degrees C.
Funny thing is that it's the CPU diode (according to MM) that drops.

i´m also using the latest MBM, but my Winbond chip won´t be reset on startup... or what do you mean with that?

does the mainboard sensor give the right temperatures in the end, when using MBM or did you speak from your extra sensor?

HI, I new here!
On Thursday i get my BD7II-R and after some probs. with RAM it runs good, But temperature is very high like yours. Where can I find an external feeler like ABIT wrote to me for checking temperature?
Do you think this problem is repairing by a new BIOS?

Sry, my english is not the best, but i hope you understand me?;)

Best wishes
Tino

Hi Detonator!

My Motherboard Monitor version is 5.1.9.1 - the option to reset the chip should be enabled by default and the option is actually one to disable reset of sensor chip. It is located in General -> Advanced -> "Do not reset sensor chipo on startup of MBM".

Just as MM starts up the system temp is very high, but after a second or two it drops like 20 degrees or more. At the moment my CPU is at 50, System at 25 and the extra temperature sensor under the northbridge heatsink is 34 - I was just running a quick game of Max Payne.

BTW it is SiSoft Sandra that reads the system temp as CPU temperature - not MM as stated before.
In SiSoft my temps are as follows:
Board: 50C/122F (This is really the CPU)
CPU: 26C/79F (And this is the board)
Power/Aux: 35C/95F (And my northbridge)

Also note that in SiSoft the CPU temperature was also ****ed until I installed MM 5.1.9.1.

My sensor settings in MM are:
CPU: Winbond1
Board: Winbond2 2N3904
Aux: Winbond3

To you Toni:
My extra diode actually came with an old Abit BE6-II, so I have no idea where you can get them - its just a wire with a sensor on the end, that you can attach anywhere.

My system:
Abit BD7II, P4 1.8, Windows 2000 SP 2, Intel chipset drivers that came with the board.

Hope this helps.

That's crazy, Ih have same version of MBM. I have choose CPU Winbond2Diode and for System (Northbr.) Winbond1. That are the same Temps. like the ABIT-Tool.
Under Sandra SP1 also the same Temp.
Under XP System idle is 41°C und performance is ca. 52°C
CPU idle 45°C and performance 58-59°C.
I use an Alpha 8942. With an GA-8SRX-Board my Northbridge was not over 37°C, also passiv cooling.
Is the board damage? i dont want to shutdown under working with computer, when does the P4 throttle?

Bye
Tino

not Toni ;)

Hi Lamps!

Now i changed my MBM-settings by your description:
CPU: Winbond1
Board: Winbond2 2N3904

Now my System-temperature is 31°C, and my P4 is around 50°C in Idle...

But why is my CPU so warm?
50°C in Idle and 60°C under load is very much... i´m using the INTEL-stockfan!

Are you sure, that your MBM-settings are the right one?

What temp is Winbond2 showing? The one i used till today...

OK, i just get the same config now, it works. You think this are the really temp? if i look in BIOS the system is every in 40°C, what is now the right temp of northbridge? I'm confused.

@ detonator, temp. of 60°C for an P4-oc is probable. Now I use an Alpha8942 and get 57-59°C (MMB) with my boxed cooler on a GA-8SRX i have same Temp. under full load.

Ciao
Tino

Anyone got a IR thermometer? This just seems to easy to solve with a simple thermometer (digital high temp...) I've been thinking of ordering a fluke DMM with a IR thermometer attachment (to support this as well as other hobbies)...

Brian

Yeah, I think you're right Brian - I'm seriously thinking about getting some other means of recording the temperature.

Especially since I'm using water and STILL getting +70 temp readings... but I'm guessing it's way off since it would mean I'm a dork at installing cooling. :D
Seriously, it has gone down, since I would be able to push it to above 80 with the Intel HSF and now the max is 73-76 degrees C (~154 F).
I was monitoring the output from Prime95 at those temps, and it didn't look as if it was throttling at any point, so that leads me to believe the reading is somewhat higher than it should be.

Another thing I've been theorizing about is that this temp is from the internal temp sensor on the PIV itself. Would that be way off?

CPU should be Winbond 2 P2-Diode
and SYS should be Winbond 1.

I tested this config and turned off my watercooling and then I could see the CPU temp rise.

xtrem, you saved the day

OK, I should have done this a long time ago ;)

Turned off the water pump, and my "System1"/"CPU"/"Winbond 2 2N3904"/whateveryouwannacallit diode rose to 40. Turned it on again and it dropped to 26 in no time :D - OK, in the BIOS it's reported as 48 max, but it's preferable to 70-80 anyday.

So I'm a happy camper, convinced my water cooling is running smooth. Just don't know if my CPU is at 28 or 48 and I have no clue where the reading of 73 C is coming from...

Maybe some day...

Which setting is correct for the CPU sensor, I am seeing conflicting reports. Should it be:

Winbond 2 2N3904
or
Winbond 2 Diode

Thanks.. :)

diehlr said:
Which setting is correct for the CPU sensor, I am seeing conflicting reports. Should it be:

Winbond 2 2N3904
or
Winbond 2 Diode

Thanks.. :)

I'm using MBM 5.1.0.7 and Winbond 2 P2 Diode for my CPU.

My CPU temperature in Winbond Hardware Doctor and BIOS both report my chip to be around 50 degrees C when idle. If I configure MBM5 to use the Winbond 2 Diode, my temperatures drops to about 30 degrees C, in both MBM5 and Hardware Doctor. So, which reading is correct, 30 degrees or 50 degrees? This whole temperature sensor inaccuracy is getting a little annoying.

I've set my computer back to stock 1.8 speeds with a little extra juice because of the two pin mod(1.6v instead of 1.5v). Apparently with MBM Winbond 2 Diode I get 48C idle, which is the same as the bios reads. I have an AX478 w/delta and I don't believe my cpu is idling at 48C. Could .1v really increase my idle temps to that high?

I've tried out Winbond 2 2N3904 and it gives me 24C.

I think my mobo temp sensors are just messed up. Apparently most of you are also getting different results from each other.

I did a little more testing and this is what I came up with

Cpu - Winbond 1
System/Northbridge - Winbond 2

I would run sandra and do some burn in, and would watch as the Winbond 1 would slowly rise. It got to about 43C then I stopped it. Then it slowly went back down to 35C where it Idles at now.

I did the same thing a second time and load is 43C. This is for 2.5ghz, 140fsb, 1.63v

DumpALump said:
I did a little more testing and this is what I came up with

Cpu - Winbond 1
System/Northbridge - Winbond 2

I would run sandra and do some burn in, and would watch as the Winbond 1 would slowly rise. It got to about 43C then I stopped it. Then it slowly went back down to 35C where it Idles at now.

I did the same thing a second time and load is 43C. This is for 2.5ghz, 140fsb, 1.63v

I think the sensors are totally screwed up on the BD7II. Must be some hardware error or something.

According to BIOS my "system" is 46 and my CPU is 39. This is with an open case and watercooling.

As I said in my previous post: I use CPU = Winbond 2 Diode, and tested this by turning off my watercooling...

Back