• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7II-RAID board..pc3000DDR??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wumeeks

Registered
This board is pretty slick. So easy to configure/OC. Anyway to the point, what do you think I can get away with for ram chip speeds? I see some people buying pc3000 memory and it working good, and others having issues? I'm runnin pc2100 now on it and with all stock voltages I upped the FSB from 100 on a 2ghz to 117 to get 2.35 and it runs completely stable and I got almost a 3000 point difference on my 3dMark score. THATS FRICKEN AWESOME!!! my original score was around 11.3k and with just the CPU OCed it went to 13.9k!!! unbelieveable!!...anyway if any of ya know about the memory I'd appreciate it! thanks.

nodsetse

Using faster memory will enable you to utilize the 3:4 and 4:5 ratios in the BIOS of the BD7-II. This will give you more bandwidth and an even better 3DMark result! :)

nodsetse

wumeeks wrote on 11-01-2002 04:55 PM:
so 3:4 ratio is set for what speed? pc2700?
and 4:5 at pc3000?
Good question, as those ratios don't make sense to anyone who isn't familiar with how they work. The thing is, they aren't set for a particular speed, they're variable, dependent on what your FSB setting is. I'll attempt to explain by example;

FSB = 133, using 3:4 ratio for memory.
133 / 3 = 44.3
44.3 * 4 = 177.2MHz memory (x2 = DDR354.4)

Now since PC2700 is rated at 166MHz/DDR333, that MIGHT work for the above example, but to be sure a person would want to use at least PC3000. Now let's look at the 117MHz FSB you're using, and where the memory would be using a 4:5 ratio;

FSB = 117, using 4:5 ratio for memory.
117 / 4 = 29.25
29.25 * 5 = 146.25MHz memory (x2 = DDR292.5)

Because your PC2100 is rated for 133MHz/DDR266, it MIGHT work at this setting, depending on the quality of your memory, the voltage it's provided and timings used. If a person wanted to be certain it would work, they'd need at least PC2400, since that's rated for 150MHz/DDR300 speeds. I'm guessing you already know PC3200 is rated for 200MHz/DDR400, and with these ratios available in the BIOS you can see whay people are buying faster memory these days.

Anyway I hope this answered your question...if not, let me know and I'll try again! ;)

OP
W

wumeeks

Registered
oh yea forgot to mention...(im new to this OCing stuff and I don't want to go overboard or anything) when i try to go to say 120 FSB it runs randomly..but wont complete any benchmarkin tests..is this because of cpu voltage? or winXP? or could be a lot of things probably huh.

nodsetse

Yes, it could be many different things. For people with mobos that don't have the ability to lock the PCI and AGP buses at 33/66, 120FSB can be a problem due to the PCI bus being too fast or too slow, since it'd be at 40MHz using a 1/3 divisor and 30MHz using the 1/4 option. Of course the BD7-II has the option to lock these at their default speeds, regardless of FSB, so I recommend you use that setting (if you aren't already) for stability by eliminating this potential variable.

If you haven't already tried increasing the CPU voltage, yes, you're likely at a point where it'll require additional vcore to remain stable at higher speeds. With more CPU voltage, the chip will generate additional heat, so keep an eye on your temps. The P4 automatically throttles back on speed once it reaches ~63'C, so you never want to hit that temp when under max load, or your performance will be adversly affected. Now it probably won't require much more voltage for stability at just 120FSB, so just try .05 or 0.1 more and see if that is enough.

Your mobo also allows for up to 2.7 volts on the memory, which could be considered the "safe" limit for just about all DDR available. If you're attempting to use either of the previously discussed cpu:mem ratios, you'll probably need to increasse vmem too. In your case I'd suggest using the 2.7v setting regardless, as I'm confident it won't damage anything and will likely help in your situation. Also, the instability could be caused by the settings used for the memory timings. If they're currently at 2-5-2-2, try changing them to 2.5-6-3-3 for improved stability if memory is suspected as an issue.

Though I suppose it's possible, it's not very probable that WinXP would be your issue. What do you mean by "it runs randomly"? Does it lock up during boot, are you getting lockups while attempting to run benchmarks, do the apps simply kick you back to the desktop without locking up the system, are you getting BSOD's with specific WinXP error messages or what? Try the things I've mentioned above and see if you're able to get it stable at 120FSB. BTW, is your CPU a Williamette or Northwood?

OP
W

wumeeks

Registered
It's a p4 2.0ghz northwood with 512cache 400 mhz fsb.

What i mean by it running randomly is that sometimes programs lock up the comp, sometimes internet explorer exists out whenever it feels like it, stuff like that..no BSOD yet...-whew-

I'll try your suggestions above. Thanks for the reply!! thanks.