• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

becoming my own ISP How-to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

What do i need to become my own ISP?
I'd like to be able to get the people i know who are using various dial-up services to be able to dial-up to my ISP. Can i use a single phone #? What has to be added to this phone line to accept multiple calls? Do i need a special modem to accept these calls? How do i configure my computer to allow access through my internet connection?

Kingslayer

You are going to need a broadband connection. Enough phonelines to supply everyone. And you are going to need a router that supports dialup accounts. You are going to need something along the lines of NT or 2000 server to handle the account authentication.

The router alone ill cost you in the vicinity of $5000. That's base model that will support about 8 lines.

How much do you like these friends....

OP
Burning Phoenix

Burning Phoenix

Not that much!

I thought somehow it was simpler
How do AOL and others allow everyone to dial-up using the same phone#?
I thought it would be as simple as everyone calling the same phone to me which will be connected to one modem of some type then use my computer as a server with access to my broadband.

Nico3k

u can do it for cheaper... just get like 5 phone lines, and put 5 dialup modems into a win2k computer and hook that up to your router/modem.

then u can set windows2k to accept the incoming calls and route them to your brodband isp.

ive done it before with just 1 phone line... its pretty cool

good luck :D

JasonKosi

Burning Phoenix said:
Not that much!

I thought somehow it was simpler
How do AOL and others allow everyone to dial-up using the same phone#?
I thought it would be as simple as everyone calling the same phone to me which will be connected to one modem of some type then use my computer as a server with access to my broadband.

The phone company has what are known as "hunt-groups". It's the same way that pizza joints have 4 lines, but you only call into one of them. If that line is busy, it "hunts" for the next available line attached to that "hunt-group".

It's the same way that customer service centers do it too.

You'll have to pay for each individual line ($20-$40/month, $50-$100 startup), pay for the hunt-group service($???), and pay for each individual modem.

Nico3K has the right idea. Just get a cheapo Win2K box, stuff it full of modems, set the modems to accept incoming calls (with account authentication) and set the Win2K box to route data between the modems and broadband connection.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Burning Phoenix said:
Still how does AOl and others allow multiple users to use the same phone #?

JasonKosi just answered that. Using a "hunt group"

Main Line: 555-1212
Other Lines: 555-1313, 555-1414, 555-1515

If someone calls the main line, and it's busy, then the phone company will usually give a busy signal, right?

If you subscribe to this special service, like call forwarding, if the main line is busy, it will try 1313, 1414 and 1515 before giving a busy signal.

The AOL users aren't all connected to one phone number, they are all connected to different ones, but they dial the main line first, and it's forwarded around to the first non-busy line

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Reselling your cable/dsl may be illegal. Check your agreement with your ISP. It's usually atleast frowned upon.

Kingslayer

Not just reselling it, even sharing it for free can be illegal. I don't think its right, its just greedy ISP's wanting that person as a paying customer.

If I buy a gallon of milk and give half to you the dairy industry doesn't come crashing down on me...

NeoN068

Kingslayer said:
Not just reselling it, even sharing it for free can be illegal. I don't think its right, its just greedy ISP's wanting that person as a paying customer.

If I buy a gallon of milk and give half to you the dairy industry doesn't come crashing down on me...

Well put!