• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been far too long since I have updated/changed anything... what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karossii

Registered
So I have a new child, and for the past few years that has severely limited my budget on hobbies, including keeping my computer up to date. I currently have about $200 (give or take $20) set aside, and I am seriously contemplating an upgrade to my system - especially since I will be getting Fallout 4 as an early Christmas present, and I am barely above the minimum specs for it right now. My build is in my signature, but I will put it here again, just in case;

CASE: Xigmatek Pantheon case w/ (2) 120mm & (3) 140mm fans
PSU: AZZA Titan 850w
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
CPU + Cooling: Intel Core i5-3570k @ 3.8gHz w/ Xigmatek Aegir [(2) 120mm fans]
GPU: GeForce GTX 660 ti
RAM: (4) Microcenter 8GB Dual Channel DDR3-1333
Storage: 600GB WD Velociraptor (system) HDD, (2) 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD, (2) 1.5TB WD Caviar Green HDD, (6) 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green HDD, (1) 3TB WD Caviar Green HDD [in various RAIDs]
Optical: (2) LG Super Multi Blue
Monitors: HannsG HH281 28" in portrait mode @ 1080x1920, Westinghouse LD-4258 42" LED @ 1920x1080
Other: Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIE w/ Mcard
KB/M: Logitech G19 Keyboard, Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball

So, as far as gaming goes, what will be the biggest bang for roughly 200 bucks?

Two good upgrades would be a SSD such as a Samsung 850 Evo, a R9 380 or If you can find a R9 290 for around $200. If the 200.00 is a hard set amount I feel upgrading the Gpu is your best bet. Either the R9 380 or the R9 290 will give you a pretty good performance boost over the 600 Ti plus they have more VRam.

Put the money into a better video card if you are a gamer. The rest of your components are still very relevant. If you upgrade the CPU you would also have to upgrade the motherboard because socket architecture has changed. Since you are using a velociraptor 10,000 rpm hard drive for your system drive there wouldn't be quites as much performance increase if you moved to an SD as there otherwise would.

Back