• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been Gone Awhile... This place still heating things up??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, there's likely a short somewhere. I'd imagine buying another board will be a lot easier than chasing down this problem, sadly. :(

Yeah, there's likely a short somewhere. I'd imagine buying another board will be a lot easier than chasing down this problem, sadly. :(
Yeah, I just am torn between spending the money on a 6 year old system for bringing life back into a (sick)dual core, or throwing a little more at it and building 2066. I cant find the short to save my life and its almost become a grudge match lol. For the same board its $200, cheaper is a thing but ill be disappointed if the the new mobo cant deliver clean enough power for the OC on the G3258.

I have only 5.7GHz on ss - https://hwbot.org/submission/2646525_woomack_superpi___32m_pentium_g3258_5min_36sec_172ms
As I remember I was pushing my CPU up to 5GHz+ on ambient temps but don't remember if it was air or water.

Heh, I entered hwbot for the first time in some months and I see they changed rules again. Each time I check the ranking I gain or lose a lot of points. Now I have 30k user points. I have no idea for what as the last time I had 12k or something.
^ I know :) I was using your OC testing of the i7-3770k w/m5g mb (sweet spot for super pi = ddr3-2400) as my guide for setting timings of the memory. I was hoping for better speed but my max was 4.75ghz the 1st cpu‘s top was 4.4ghz :-( I’ll be revisiting them again, I hope with more knowledge, to push them further :cool:
^ Since I have you here I have got a BIG question : I bought some gear from Jiccmen back in Dec and got a set of G.Skill ddr3-2666 (we did a review of this set) and can not get it stable on the m6e & m6g mb. I used a i7-4770k/90k and it would not run many of the benches, either at default speed or higher. I read the review several times as I tried to get them to work BUT I just put them to the side as having been OCed to death.

^ I know :) I was using your OC testing of the i7-3770k w/m5g mb (sweet spot for super pi = ddr3-2400) as my guide for setting timings of the memory. I was hoping for better speed but my max was 4.75ghz the 1st cpu‘s top was 4.4ghz :-( I’ll be revisiting them again, I hope with more knowledge, to push them further :cool:
^ Since I have you here I have got a BIG question : I bought some gear from Jiccmen back in Dec and got a set of G.Skill ddr3-2666 (we did a review of this set) and can not get it stable on the m6e & m6g mb. I used a i7-4770k/90k and it would not run many of the benches, either at default speed or higher. I read the review several times as I tried to get them to work BUT I just put them to the side as having been OCed to death.
It could degrade or the CPU can't run at 2666 and tighter timings. I don't really remember how it was on these chips. Maybe you are missing some voltages or something else. It's really hard to say.
Test it at 2400 and CL9-10-10 or 9-11-11 and check if it works like that. If you make it stable then the performance won't be much worse and you will know that the RAM is fine.

I can put 12 volts on the 8pin and nothing smokes, voltage isnt shorting there, it's only when the start button is pressed and pci/ram/ect tries to power up. The 8pin alone wont trip a bench supply.

Its definitely borked.

I might be misunderstanding the system but I cant find an obvious cause of failure. I'm going off a "repair guide" for an understanding of how it's supposed to boot, and I'm using boardview to find the layout of said circuits. I can pm the info to you if you want to try and help me understand it.
Have you been able to verify that the PSU is not the problem by testing it in another setup?
Have you been able to test the CPU in another motherboard to verify it is fully working?
Have you been able to test a different CPU in the faulty M7H?
There’s a current listing for a M6H on e-bay for $140 with a i7-4670k & 8gb of memory :) The z87 boards are ~ $50 cheaper than their z97 counterparts. There’s also a M7G with a starting price of $75 or buy now for $150.

I did check with a different power supply and it acts the same, I'm kind of out of ideas at this point. 🥺 have to ponder some more and do some research.

You guys helping me ruin my savings lol.

^ if you can get over the x58 (1366) mb cost, the i7-920/30/40/50 is running less than $40. The 920 is less that $10 :) The:plus1: is you get to keep your current memory (DDR3). The BAD though is good memory still cost $$$. You can still find some GEMS like Gskill - 2000 _9-9-9-27 (BBSE) for $25.
I have two i7-3930k sitting around on intel motherboards with good ddr3 (just collecting dust), would that be worth trying to bench?

I have two i7-3930k sitting around on intel motherboards with good ddr3 (just collecting dust), would that be worth trying to bench?
I have also benched the i7-3930k & i7-3960x and I can say they have very good points :cool:

Back