• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beeping/chirping sound from both PSU and GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aleksei83

Hello,

I've built a new rig with MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X inside.
I have an issue - there's pretty loud noise (not a coil whine) under heavy load which sounds like a bird chirping.
It came from PSU EVGA 750 BQ and I replaced it with ROSEWILL Gaming 80 750W, but the issue still there and now I think the noise comes not only from PSU but from GPU as well and they both perfectly synced and sound exactly the same (to test I moved PSU far from case).
Please take a look at these videos (old and new PSU):

It's not a mechanical sound and it's not coming from fans or case. Fans rotate silently and the sound starts under full GPU load only (I assume when energy consumption is high).
It's definitely coming from both PSU's I tried (attached videos), but in addition it's coming from GPU itself (though I'm not 100% sure about this). Also I tried different outlets.

I sent first video to EVGA tech support, and they said I may RMA. But second PSU is doing exactly the same sound, so I got stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the second video, for some reason I can't add it to the thread:

Last edited:
Hmm sounds like an alarm of some sort. Have you tried swapping the video card out with something else? Even just try removing the GPU and running the onboard video to see if it does it. If you have no onboard video you could still at least remove the GPU and power the computer on and see if the sound comes. You could try putting your GPU in another computer. Also, it might be the motherboard.

aleksei83, that's a very weird phenomenon. Have no idea. Must be coming from the motherboard somehow. But to test that I would take the board and essential components out of the case and set them up on a table top.

Does your motherboard have a built-in micro speaker for error beep codes? If so, I would disable that in bios and see if the noise goes away. But it really doesn't sound like any error beep codes I ever heard. It's more like a whistle/squeak/chirp happening in a rhythmic pattern.

Last edited:
Isn't there anything that touches or push the PSU fan? It sounds like a "circular" noise. Like something is acting as a break on a spinning piece (like a fan).

What does your CPU cooler set up look like? It sounds (to me) like a pump or fan bearing. That, or a faint, bizarre alarm of some sort. It's hard to tell without being able to move my head around the case. :-/

Thanks to everybody who responded!
I think I found the culprit - it's somehow related to power consumption.
I'm using this GPU to run some deep neural net learning, and indeed I was using exactly the same NN for each noise test.
Most probably the chirping sound corresponds to some data processing pattern for this NN, since if I run different NN sound chages!
I think sound itself is coming from inductors on GPU and PSU.
One additional evidence is that my light bulb (in the same room PC is running) is flickering with excatly the same pattern as sound does - might be some power consumption peaks/oscillations.

Back