• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

before i do any more research...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TRAVenger

From what i've read, i'm guessing my mobo is worthless for overclocking. I have a HP pavilion a250n, P4 2.6 ghz with HT.. seeing as how this is stock, i'll assume that there's not much hope for getting much more out of my processor, correct?

OP
T

TRAVenger

well that just stinks.. oh well.. guess i gotta be happy with it until i can afford a new motherboard atleast

shortbus_

you can get a good overclocking abit ai7 board for about $100 on zipzoomfly.com

and welcome to the forums!

seamadan000

if you do get a new motherboard, check the case and PSU, as many of the big OEMs use propriatary connectors on the PSU and non-standard case layouts that make a normal mobo incompatable with the case or PSU

this may or may not be true with your stuff, but just a heads up

Lancelot

HP mostly uses Asus mainboard that come with a special OEM HP BIOS. You should open your case and check the type of mainboard, if it's an Asus you'll find a common mainboard type but the code ends with -LA. You'll prolly be able to flash that BIOS with a standard Asus BIOS but the board simply won't support 'jumper free mode' so you can't adjust FSB and Voltages. You do get however all the other options like advanced chipset setup and memory timings. I was able to flash a OEM HP P4B-LA with a P4B-MX BIOS after wich I could enable onboard sound, install better memory and adjust timings.